Help, Newbie Here

xs400newbie0584

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, bear with me here. I'm as new as they come to any motorcycle. I have an 81 XS400 special II. My problem is that I have gas going into the air filter, way more on the left side of the bike than the right (even when on the center stand). I have taken the carbs apart and cleaned them (waiting for the rebuild to come in the mail) adjusted the floats. Floats were at 24mm had a LOT of fuel in the filter at that point, took them apart again and readjusted to 32 per the manual, now not nearly as much and she idles much better until it gets flooded again. The needle floats don't seem to be sticky but I'm not sure anymore, hence the rebuild on its way. I am at 2 1/4 turns out on the pilot mixture screws. And before you say anything about the other 2 screws on the carbs, I'm not sure where they are or how to adjust them. Been working on this bike for a couple months now, and I want to ride before the weather turns on me. Took her down to the frame and painted it, fixed some of the mess they call wiring(thanks to the help I found on this page), got the ignition problem fixed (again thanks for the posts that I was able to follow), got her painted and put back together and now having the fuel/air filter issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Petcock isn't the problem though. :poke: (how i feel right now) Thanks for the help in advance.

I was just thinking I'd say "leaky petcock" until you said it's not the petcock.

Check the petcock. Take the line off the carbs, put a bucket or something under it, turn it to "On" and wait.

I would start with new float valves and o-rings. Also replace the pilot jet rubber plugs.

the only thing that will cause carbs to leak if its not the petcock is;
needle not seating - blow through carb inlet with carbs upside down, should be no air escaping
floats sinking - submerge in fuel and watch for bubbles, shake afterwards to hear if any has got in
wrong float height http://www.xs400.com/threads/confusing-float-height.9857/#post-102117
Well, floats are good! They float :thumbsup: no bubbles no nothing, however doing what you said the needle isn't seating... Going to re-adjust the floats again :thumbsdown:

Floats adjusted to 26mm and no air when upside down! gonna hook it up and see whats up now!
Wish me luck!!;)

Last edited:
Well I know it's late but I just wanted to let you guys know that I got everything put back together and she runs so much better! Next step (just to make sure) is to sync the carbs... got my yardstick and ATF all ready for tomorrow!
Thank you guys so much for your help!

Back