Help! Nowhere to connect wire!

Yusiro

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay,

So I replaced the entire headlight bucket and everything today (on my 1982 xs400 heritage special), but when I was finished I had one female connection left that didn't have a male. It is two black wires that goes into one connection. I think it has something to do with the brakes, as the brake light is now permanently on. I searched the entire bike for a missing connection and I can't find it for the life of me. It comes out of the main section where most of the wires come in (see pic).

If anyone could help me with where that sucker connects to, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

The Picture didn't connect for some reason. See attached

Attachments

• Wire-noconnect.JPG
    Wire-noconnect.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 170
Going through the spaghetti mess and reattaching every thing in the head light bucket is a headache. And then getting the headlight back in. After printing off a copy of the wiring diagram,(look in the tech section), I would probably start by double checking everything I connected in the first place, paying attention to the two wires that come from the brake lever switch. You mentioned your brake lights are on. Check the switch at the brake pedal, to make sure its not binding, just to rule that possibility out.

If I remember correctly the brake switches use yellow and brown wires, so check those out in the bucket. Did you do any other tests, turn signals, light, starting?

I really couldn't see much in your picture, old eyes.

Last edited:
Well I feel dumb. Checked the wire at the brake lever pushed in a little and the brake light works again... I guess I pulled to hard back through. I concluded that wire is two into 1 an doesn't connect to anything. Literally everything works. Thank you very much hmusket, you made me think and I got her Back together. Thanks to you I won't miss a nice riding day tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Back