Help ! process for testing ignition coil on 81 XS400

riotten22

Nick Cook
Reaction score
Hey guys been paging through the pdf manuals and found resistance values but no real good description on how to test the coil for primary and secondary resistance. Please advice what terminals i need to hook up my ohmeter too. Seems like a dumb question but i am not getting any values from different connections I am testing.

Thanks,

Ok, hooked red wire from ohmeter to red/white and black wire from ohmeter to orange wire and I am getting 4.1, Sounds like i need new coils eh? definitely not 2.75 like the book suggests?

Well after all this dinkin around ya know what my problem was ? The friggin coil connectors were switched up... So is left / right different on a bike than a car ? Manual and another forum member said the gray wire connector should go left and orange righ and thats what I had. Swapped them around and it fired up instantly.

I have to say, I did the same thing. I sort of tested mine, they didn't test in spec (I don't think 30 year old bikes EVER do) and so I got all crazy and ordered replacements from Mikes xs that in retrospect, I might not need. Well, you live you learn.

Drewcifer

Back