Help Sputter problem 65 to 70

tedder1138

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone first post here hope you can help. Yam xs400j Maxim. I ride to work everyday and have recently started having a sputter issue If I try to cruise at the beginning of my ride around 65-70 it will start sputtering I originally would drop to lower gear and and the high rpm would pull it out of this behavior at which I could return to 5th with no real issue the rest of the ride. I now have noticed if I pull the clutch lever in it has no issue so I will pull it in and let it rev and let it out and it will pull out of the behavior with no more issue. I pulled the carbs completely apart I know this is not the issue. the fuel air system is fine. I replaced the ignition coils about 6 mths ago mikes xs variety. I have to ride three more days before I can take it apart. replaced rect/reg about 6 mths ago so its new too. Im thinking either one of the coils is failing, I have a wiring issue or maybe my stater but it doesn't strike me because the bike runs fine and has no Idle issue or other electrical issue. I had to kind of wire the mikes xs coils because they did not share the plugs but Im thinking maybe my wiring is shot or the coils which seem a lot more fragile than the heavy stock ones couldn't handle the vibrations. I am going to top the batt off before work right now and check all fusses and immediate wiring. Any opinion/ advice is welcome.

Back