Help with new compressor

evan122

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently just bought a 13 gallon air compressor and it has a 5hp motor on it. It states that it can do 6.5 scfm @ 40psi and 5.1 scfm @ 90psi. I am wanting to do some paint and rust removal on the engine, gas tank, and frame. What would be the best blasting option for doing this with this size of a compressor? and any advice as to what type of abrasives to use for different finishes?

Thanks,

Evan

Hey Evan and Welcome

You should introduce yourself type of bike year etc. post some pictures. People tend to get abit annoyed when you just post up and ask questions before introducing yourself.

I am in ontario also cambridge to be exact.

I'll be honest doing your own sandblasting is a messy affair. I would recomend bringing it to somebody. I have a compressor and I never sandblast anymore. The secret isn't actually the pressure but the volume of media you are able to feed. If your in the kw area I can recomend a guy who is good and cheap.

For your frame and such parts you can use sand, aluminum oxide or glass bead. Glass is also good on the aluminum parts such as engine crank case. For thin sheet metal walnut shell will cause less distortion of the sheet metal and also won't harden it.

Most compressors are not intended for sand blasting. If you had a huge amount of volume like an 80 gallon mabey it would be easier but your going to have problems with overheating the compressor not to mention it will be painfully slow to sandblast your parts.

Shaun

Back