help with tachometer seal

kindest

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
took my 80 XS400 on a long ride yesterday come home and noticed more oil then usual on the engine and way up top. Closer inspection it seems like my tach seal is leaking. I have a spare engine and I took the top off to see how to get to it and even with the lid off and the c-clip off I still can't push the unit out?! :banghead: Was hoping to take the oil seal off the spare engine and use it.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8237
this guy sells a plug for that seal and I might end up going that route if this is gonna be too much of a bear to replace. I take it there is no easy way to replace the seal without taking the top cover off.

1.JPG

nice little oil puddle

2.JPG

mmnnmnm oil soup

3.JPG

shot from the front spare showing the oil seal deep down in there

4.JPG

this is underneath the top lid which is how we get our rpm readings.

full

under a close look it appears I don't even have a seal on my running engine. joy

full

I don't understand why I can't get that whole shaft to pop out of the spare.. It just shows a cir-clip holding it together.

simple one. Your just over thinking it;

get a pick and pick out the seal from the outside of the engine and drive in a new one using a socket.

mine leaked a bit and I just tightened the screw and cured it, might like to try that first.

simple one. Your just over thinking it;

get a pick and pick out the seal from the outside of the engine and drive in a new one using a socket.

mine leaked a bit and I just tightened the screw and cured it, might like to try that first.

hah nothing is ever simple for me.
I was hoping to take the spare one off whole in tact without damaging it and pounding it in the running engine.

edit hooray I got the spare one off in 1 piece by pounding the end of the gear with a punch and hammer a used one is better then nothing :p

Last edited:
hah nothing is ever simple for me.
I was hoping to take the spare one off whole in tact without damaging it and pounding it in the running engine.

edit hooray I got the spare one off in 1 piece by pounding the end of the gear with a punch and hammer a used one is better then nothing :p

cheapskate :laugh:

hah i am too.
well you will be happy to know it didn't work.
I guess I didn't clean out the old stuff good enough and tried using a deep socket to smash down the used seal far enough so the tach cable will slip in enough to put the stopper screw in. long story short it still leaks lol

You can get a new seal or plug the hole. On my 80 I removed the entire assembly and jb welded hole closed. It has no tach but also has no seal to leak anymore:laugh:

You can get a new seal or plug the hole. On my 80 I removed the entire assembly and jb welded hole closed. It has no tach but also has no seal to leak anymore:laugh:

how did you prevent jb weld from getting into the engine thru the little receiving tube. I think you got the right idea I have a spare tach cable I might just cut the end off and fill it with epoxy and shove it in. I got the rpm sound memorized :p

I took the entire gear drive out. I did use a little quick steel epoxy first then jb over the ends.

Attachments

• DSC02022.jpg
    DSC02022.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC02023.jpg
    DSC02023.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 334
You need to remove the rocker cover to get to a c-clip that holds the drive in place.

So I am having a problem with this too. I have discovered that the part is now discontinued . Would you guys recommend to plug the hole or to find a replacement seal ? I ask about the seal because I've been told there is a shop in my town that specializes in oil seals of all kinds as part of their inventory.

Back