Help with this plug?

cthor

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys know where these go? They seem to come out of the chain cover from the stator? Also how do you guys route these wires and the wire coming from under the chain cover back up without hitting the chain?

22C32CD9-D181-40C8-9D64-0C48C3A03094-199-0000000B623EE5FA_zps5d3985bd.jpg

Last edited:
Those wires originally have a white harness attached to them. It runs out a hole at the bottom of the front sprocket cover, under the engine, and up behind the engine (between the swing-arm and the motor). From there it joins up with another white plug on the main harness.

Also, please fix those connections; they look horrible. Only use solder; no crimp connections as they will fail; it's just a matter of when.

Wow. I dont think this harness was ever hooked up or I would have labeled it during the tear down. There is also an unlabeled white plug that have four prongs. I am guessing they go together. Now I have to figure out which wire goes where. Not sure if they are color coded and match the other harness. You guys have any idea where I can get a pigtail so I can solder it on. At this point it might be easier to get a male and female pigtail harness with 4 wires and rewire.

Also do you guys know what this wire does? Cant be responsible for charging the battery? My battery never died?

It looks like it goes to the rectifier; check out the wiring diagram in your manual that you downloaded from this site.

If these wires are not connected your battery will not charge.

Don't run your engine with those wires unconnected for more than a minute. You can't generate electricity, then do nothing with it. You end up generating heat, thus turning your stator into a super heater.

Thanks guys. Looks like i'll be out looking for a male and female pigtail. I didnt have a plug so i am going to have to source one out somehow.

Ok guys, after looking at the wires. There is one yellow one and 3 white ones. Looking at the harness it goes to, there is one yellow wire there too and 3 white ones. I am assuming the yellow goes to the yellow(bottom left prong in the female plug) but what about the 3 white wires? Is there any way I can reference these wires to which wire on the female plug? Or does it matter?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Back