Stator gasket leak

Jasonsblue81

colorado Kid
Reaction score
Hey guys. gonna do a stator gasket here soon. Had a mechanic tell me to get some yamabond. I am guessing its just for the rubber gromet area where the wires come out but i am only guessing. The gasket itself should not need anything on it correct?? also there are a few formulas of yamabond on amazon?? Anything else i need to get before i dig into this??? thanks Jason.

I put a smear of sealant on the rubber wire grommet you mentioned, just for good measure. I did not use Yamabond, but picked up some Permatex Motoseal that seems to work well (I don't have a lot of run time yet, but no leaks from the valve cover where it is used instead of a gasket.) Threebond is also another product that you can use instead of Yamabond.

The only thing else to note on the job is to make sure that the insulation on the stater wires looks good, the starter chain looks to be in good condition and if you have any issues with the starter clutch, this would be the time to look into it as the flywheel will be easier to remove.

I'll add that I used permatex ultra grey on my stator wire gommet and no leaks so far with about 1500 miles on it.

Hey guys. got the gasket done. went easier than i thought. I noticed one side of gasket had a different paper pattern to it. it was a genuine oem part. hope i didnt have to peal something off one side of it. its back together now.

Most gasket paper is that way. It will have a manufacturing print on one side and blank on the other. Nothing to peel.

Back