Help!

George

XS400 Member
Reaction score
When I go to kick start the bike I can tell that the resistance has changed. Used to I would have to kick it pretty firmly to get it to start... now its pretty lite and needless to say it won't start.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with it??

Your clutch could be out of adjustment. Start with the engine side first then the one on the handle bars. The manual has the procedure. My guess is your bike is kickstart only so a compression test can't happen till the kick start is fixed. If the clutch fix don't work you will need to check the kick start mechanism. Lets hope the journal that hold the shaft isn't broken. There are threads on this in the forum.

Hope it's not a blown head gasket, which commonly may make some noise as the air leaks out, but not always.

If the lever does not return then the main windup spring may be broke. There is a keyed spring in there that forces a gear sideways to engage, that fouled up could do it too.

Hope it's not a blown head gasket, which commonly may make some noise as the air leaks out, but not always.

If the lever does not return then the main windup spring may be broke. There is a keyed spring in there that forces a gear sideways to engage, that fouled up could do it too.

It doesn't sound like any air leaks out and it does return. if you push on it lightly and slow you can hear the compression...

Your clutch could be out of adjustment. Start with the engine side first then the one on the handle bars. The manual has the procedure. My guess is your bike is kickstart only so a compression test can't happen till the kick start is fixed. If the clutch fix don't work you will need to check the kick start mechanism. Lets hope the journal that hold the shaft isn't broken. There are threads on this in the forum.
I haven't had a chance to try this...but i will keep you posted. Thanks for the lead!!

That worked!!

adjusted the clutch and got myself a new battery, it is running great now. Thank you so much for your help.

Back