hesitation on acceleration

krullbeast

xs360 owner
Reaction score
Hello, My xs360 is hesitating upon acceleration. Does this signify that the carbs are running lean and can I adjust them without dismantling them? Thank you! I am able to dismantle them no problem (except for that dang throttle cable!) I am just curious if i can adjust the pilot screw from the outside.

ok, so I reset my float heights to 26 mm and tried it again. It is still doing the same thing. took out my plugs and the right side is carbon covered and the left is basically dry with no residue. the bike will start and low idle but chokes out. Last night i rode it home after warming it up and could only max out in 2nd gear. Downhill it was fine. but up hill top of second was maxxing it out. it has no power and i'm assuming the left side isn't firing. any ideas would be super appreciated! thank you. I recently put a new float in and made sure that just as it touched my jet it was 26mm. both sides but one side has an old float in it. i checked the compression on both sides with my thumb while turning it over and it seemed about equal, although it was not enough to blow my thumbs off. I am struggling to figure this out. grrrrr.

Last edited:
Best thing to start with is a full bike tune up. Points, condenser, timing, plugs, set the valves and do a compression test ( with a gauge). If all that is good, a full carb dismantle and cleaning with all the o-rings and butterfly seals replaced. Then sync the carbs with a manometer. Does the bike have the stock exhaust and air filters still on it? Post some pics of the bike so we can see what you are working with. :)

Last edited:
thank you for the response chris! I have the stock air filters. Today i did my third breakdown and this time included the tank fuel petcock and filter. i tried cleaning out the vacuum tube with a guitar string and it seemed fine then i took apart the spring gasket thingy it went into on the back of the petcock. everything looks good. i pulled the carbs off again and went over the troublesome side this time releasing the drain screw and main jet. looked good. i bent the tang up so it would get more fuel on the new float. cleaned the valve seat and needles. everything looked fine. reassembled. other than a miniscule bend on the new float's tang, i seemingly did nothing. the bike is running fine now. WHAT THE HELL WENT RIGHT?!!!! damnit! i might never know what went wrong!

thank you for trying to help me, but i somehow unknowingly helped myself. I would still welcome any ventures as to what might have been wrong in the first place. I need to lose some weight so i can justify only needing a 360! but it sure is fun!

https://instagram.com/p/ppTCYyxvcC/

Last edited:
Nice bike! :thumbsup:

Kinda wish my 360 still had the stock paint like that, and decent mufflers....

From the factory it was the same brick red paint scheme as yours. But this is when I bought it:
IMG_0306.JPG

And this is pretty close to it now:
unnamed.jpg

Nice! I saw some pics of a blue one from the factory like yours that i really like! these things are fun! and it is super easy to take off the carbs which is a plus! be safe out there

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian! These bikes sure are fun! Very nice bike by the way. I really like those old school paint schemes.

Back