Hey all...

thejadedfool

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to the forum... but not new to old yamaha's...

My latest budget project is in the picture gallery...

Peace

David

Definitely transformed the looks of the bike for very little cash. Great job and welcome to the forum.

before
full

after
full

Thanx for posting the pics here for me... lol...

No paint on the forks... just degreaser... fine steel wool... and a lot of elbow grease!!

I have a few more things planned... I am gonna get a set of shocks from a Honda rebel ( to lower the back end a tad )... also a set of fork boots... the big accordion kind like the ones on enduro type bikes... and a different set of handlebars... I replaced the stock ones with what I have now... and they are better... but they are not right yet... still searching... When I have the front end torn apart for the boots I am gonna paint the gauges and lower the front end a little more...

This winter I was planning a complete teardown... then I can get the frame painted and the motor cleaned up and shiny again... and a carb rebuild...

I do have a question to throw out...

I am driving this daily to work... it is 50 miles one way... almost all freeway with a 65 mph limit... I am not one of those speed demon kinda guys... I dont need to do 0 to 60 in x seconds or less... etc...

I was wondering about making some changes to bring down my RPM's at highway speeds... My bike currently has the stock 16 inch rear wheel... any suggestions?? I realize I will lose some low end take off power... but I am ok with that... Please let me know if you have done some mods to accomplish this and how it worked for you...

Thanx

David

easiest thing would be a different rear gear. go with a smaller one, and that should bring down your RPM. what are you spinning it at when your doin 65?

So... I needed new tires... so I took the wheels off and brought them to the shop for some new rubber... I also needed to replace the rear sprocket as it was shot... Well one thing led to another... And now she is a bobber... LMAO... well almost a bobber... still needs some work... but I should have her back on the road in a couple days...

I will post some pics tomorrow night...

Peace

David

Here ya go!! Sorry for the bad pics... it was getting dark...
full

And a pic of stainless steel tubing... exhaust upgrade incoming =)

full

I know that replacing the shocks with struts is not the RIGHT way to make a rigid... I plan on doing it the RIGHT way this winter... =)

Peace

David

It's a way to do a rigid. Is there a right way to eliminate a suspension? ;) :D

Well thats kinda why I am trying the struts... lol... If I do not like it... I can always throw on some Honda Rebel Shorties... and then mount the fender to the swingarm... =)

I was kinda razzing volcomskater77... cuz his xs400 hardtail is done "RIGHT" =)

Peace

David

HA! dont fret the struts.its ok to do struts. but welding from where the frame loop starts, to the swing arm axle plates, WHILE leaving the swingarm in place is wrong. personally, i think its a half assed attempt to get a certain look. struts are ok to get the feel, but it will ride very differently and feel different when the real hardtail goes on. or so ive read/been told. TONS of evo sportys have them. its not a bad thing. if my bike makes it up there in september, you can take as many pics and ask as many questions about my HT as you like. ill also tell you what i would have done differently. i look forward to it. woah. this was way long. rant over. lol

what im really digging is that stainless... you have peaked my intrest. :D

I have heard that a real hardtail rides better than a strutted bike... so I figure if I like the strutted bike I would really like a true hardtail...

I hope you make it up here man... would be a great time...

Gotta show all these HOG riders what a real cycle is... LMAO... ;-)

Peace

you mean they wont be appaled that we can weld and chaing our own oil? foreign thought process from my side of the tracks. lol

It's funny you mention that 'cause just yesterday i was reading a copy of "American Iron" and when I was reading through the tech questions and answers I was amazed at the level of basic mechanical idiocy that was displayed in the questions- the answers were fine...and how they didn't rant about the dumb questions, I'll never know.

More pic goodness!!!

Before the chop...

2011-08-10_16-58-28_749.jpg

After the chop...

2011-08-10_17-16-42_337.jpg

And a few concept shots with pieces in place... roughly... =)

2011-08-10_17-31-53_836.jpg

2011-08-10_17-31-42_994.jpg

2011-08-10_17-32-03_439.jpg

Getting close!!

Peace

David

Back