HHHEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!! brakes

AMR-XS400

Chopping to XS
Reaction score
I am having a very hard time removing the pistons from my front and rear callipers. They are in very bad shape and don't move, i have tried compressed air but no luck. Any ideas?

Hey mate i had the same problem. Just hook it up to a master cycliner like normal and pump fluid through the line but dont have any brake pads installed and obviously its not mounted on a rotor. You dont need the caliper mounted on the bike at all, just hang it off into a bucket to catch the fluid and piston once poped out. Once you have pressure on the pedal or hand lever (depending on whether you used front or back M/cyclinder) then simply keep squeezing slowly. You will see the piston start to move out slowy, just keep going till it pops right out and hey presto there you have it!

Oh yeah and just to 'break the seal' of the seized piston i put a strong flat bit of wood on top of it and wacked it further into the caliper EVENLY. Doesnt have to be much, just a couple of mil just so you know it has moved. I know you want to be getting out not pushing further in lol, but i think it definatly helps to break the seal a bit before you start pumping. Dont worry its a peice of cake!

You can also use grease or steam to push out the piston.

Get a bolt to plug the hose port (I think it's M10x1.25). You can fill the caliper with water, close the bleeder and plug the hole, then heat it up with a propane torch (make sure there is a rag to catch the piston and don't stand in front of it) Water will expand and force the piston out.

You can also find a zerk fitting to fit in place of the bleeder screw, plug the hole, and use a grease gun to pop it out. Since grease is thicker than fluid, it should work better when your seals are leaky.

I seem to be remembering when i did mine, I did use a Air compressor, and maybe some wd-40 or JB-80, I remember thinking how glad I was that I had something in the middle of the open space, to stop the piston, once it did go. other wise I suspect I might have need to order a new one. Lucky me!

Back