HHHeeelllllppppp

PrimePerformance

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well im currently stuck out of town now my xs400 lastnight just turned off on me everything i mean everything every light an all i checked 4 fuses none of them blowen anyone have any idea what it could be theres no dummy lights no power whats so ever but the battery still has a charge and everything any knowledge would help PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE

Well, for starters, I think a more descriptive thread title would help. :D

Do you have a test light or a multimeter? If you do, check to see if there is power to the fuse block. If you don't, get one, and check power to the fuse block. Then check the power at the ignition switch. If EVERYTHING is dead, it's got to be either the circuit where the main fuse is, or the switch.

I bet the connections to the fuse box are loose. This happened to me and I had to rebuild the fuse box because the harness to clip connections and clips themselves were loose and making only intermittent contact.

The way to test this (if you are sure the battery id charged) is to turn the ignition key on and then start moving the wires around near and at the fuse box. If you get the oil and neutral light to flash on, you found it.

I bet the connections to the fuse box are loose.

I forgot about that. My fusebox quite literally fell apart one day as I was getting ready to leave work. I ripped it out and soldered in a new one. No electrical problems since then.

Not that it could explain all of the failures, but another "hot spot" for failures is probably the harness hear the steering stem/headlight. This is really the only place where the harness is being forced to move (steering lock to lock).

My friend's '74 cb360 had a few electrical anomalies in the past. They all ended up being due to dirty/corroded connections (butt connectors, etc).

Thanks for all the help found out the problem after about 20 minutes of messing around noticed the cap on one of my fuses was lose wehre the glass would spin around still was connected but figured ill try that replaced it and bam finished my 800 mile round trip

I like the inline fuse holders from Radio Shack, cost less than from the parts store and have caps. Get the ones that use the blade type fuses like a car uses.
Leo

Check your fuses, your wiring (a cheap multimeter will do wonders) and mine did that when I blew a voltage regulator and had charging issues. Hit us up if you need help. It will be a day or so to hunt that gremlin I suspect. Do you know how to undo your connectors and check things with a meter?

Good luck

Drewcifer

Back