Hi from MO

Turns out you can remove dents with a toilet bowl blunger. lol

Before.

After pop!

When the wife's away some guys go out drinking... me...i paint in the house. :)

My bodywork sux but i'm hoping the magic of wet sanding and multiple coats will get me through.

Still trying to sort out the seat plan as well. This CB500 seat may just work.

And with some some PhotoShop fun. What i think i'm going to build it to.

good paint job Tim. Once you flat and get the shiny coats on it'll look.....well, 50 cents (JK)

I'm never a fan of advertising makers names (that's why speedy has none) but its different and not speed blocks for a change!

Progress...

Found out that wet sanding is amazing. After an hour on the tank i began to see that i will be able to get a decent finish. I let it cure a couple of days more then i hit it again with several coats. Gonna sand it today then one more coat, then clear.

Next i found out the secret you builders already know. Grindin' is FUN!

So i took my new grinder and chopped some tabs and lots of the metal off the tail end. Probably gonna cut more today. :)

Pulled the chrome fender from a CB500 parts bike. (I needed one with no hole in the tip) Went over it with Coca-Cola and aluminum foil to knock the rust spots off the chrome. Sanded the inside and then hit that with rustolium.

Chopped it in half and mounted it. Not sure about the angle but i'll fine tune that after i mount longer shocks and figure out the seat. I do like the "motocross" look of it.

Other than that I've ordered most of the remainder of needed parts.
And traded for some with a member of my local vintage club.

Just for fun i ran the budget and I'm at around $400 including purchase price.

Depending on the cost of shocks and allowing for one or two surprises i should bring it in close to $600.

More parts going in the classifieds today. :)

A little more progress today.

Installet the pod filters and a clutch lever. Changed the oil, slipped on some old Honda mufflers and dropped an old KZ tank on her.

time to up those jets my friend. Be careful how you kick, stabbing at it will break the internal webbing, then its a new crankcase.

Thanks i know there is a post on here with recommended jets for pods. I'll hunt it up. I know i need to cheek the valves as well. One side is not hitting as hard as the other.

The actual pipes i am going to use are on the way so ill continue with other things till they arrive.

This weekend, spent quality time with brushes and a brillow pad scrubbing the bike. When i got it it came with a coating of what appeared to be cement dust. Very hard coating but i think i got it all off.

Then on to the seat.

Chopped about 2 inches off of the end and then used a heat gun to bend another 1 inch down to form the "back". Chopped the foam off the "step", to flatten the seat out. And an inch off the bottom tip that sticks down. Built up the padding in front.

Had a little helper. :)

Stretched and twisted and begged the stock cover to go back on.
Not perfect but certainly good enough for "Frugal Build V1"

Now back to wet sanding and finishing the tank.

Flexible exhaust pipe. Now THATS a tun o' fun for $25!!!

Playing with layouts. A sort of modified "scrambler" idea.

This whole idea was new to me but for any who want to try it. I went to O'Reilly auto and had them cut me 2, 4 foot lengths. Tight fit but it snugly fits right over the headers. Worked it up until i found a layout i liked keeping the lengths the same.

Yesterday i did more chopping.

Then finished the tank and refined my plan for the pipe layout.

Meenwhile my friend Austin (who actually knows what he's doing). Built me a "motorcycle lift kit"! :thumbsup:

IMAG1001.jpg

Today some real instillation.

What a great day!

My Vintage club guys got out for coffee and then, went over to bobbed750's spot to see some of his projects and get the "lift kit" installed.

The masked man in action.

Got the kit on and mounting brackets for the mufflers.

So with the 13+ shocks and the kit i should be about 2 inches taller.

Wow i'm digging this little tracker!

Got home and my assistants conducted a spot inspection...

Gotta watch em or they'l run off...

Big thanks to Austin (Bobbed750) for your hospitality and great work!

Back