homemade header question

BrokenFang

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I know its been awhile since ive been on. Still building time and money slowed me down.
i have searched all the exhaust threads i was curious has any body built there own headers the part im concerned about is the one that goes into the exhaust port. the only pipe i have is mac 2to1. the part under the flange has a permantly fixed collar that the bolt on collar bumps against. has any one managed to do this without cutting up stock headers to do it. pardon any spelling im not allowed to install anything on this computer so i cant put ispell check on it.

I figured they all had the collar was just curious if one of you guys had duplicated that from scratch. Guess ill do some measuring to see if i can do it. I'd cut the originals if i had them but I dont want to cut my Mac 2 to1 up. Ill check dime city to. Thinking I want dual straights.

I'm going to admit to a moment of operator head space. The bike came with the Macs on it and they put the spacer on then flared the pipe. The factory flared the pipe and uses split spacer.

So are you or have you removed the mac?Also a lot of times when people build their own headers they use exhaust collars off old header pipes or like as mentioned there are pipe kits that come with 2 half sleeves to be welded together

the mac is sitting on the tool bench rust and all. its the only exhaust i have . the bike looks like it needs shotguns down both sides instead of 2 into one. if the spacer collar is supposed to be solid i might be able to duplicate that once i get an extra set of flanges.

This is how the stock setup works. There is also a copper 0-ring that goes between the head pipe and the engine to seal it.

Attachments

• DSC02481.jpg
    DSC02481.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02482.jpg
    DSC02482.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC02483.jpg
    DSC02483.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 232
Thanks dude now i know what im looking at. I can duplicate that. the mac dosnt use the split ring which is where i was confused.

Back