Hopefully this will be my next bike.

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
I am gonna try and compression test my '83 engine today, see if I can stick with my XS400 Maxim, but should it be too big a project I got my eye on one of these with this same color scheme. Lot of miles on it, 60K, but well maintained and while not as clean as the one pictured, not at all bad for these bikes. It's a friend and he isn't trying that hard to sell, I think I will make this mine, one way or another.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

1984 (I think) Honda CB700SC "Nighthawk" with a whopping 80 horsepower at the shaft driven back wheel.

I've heard bike mechanics say the Nighthawks with the hydraulic lifters is one of the best bikes ever designed and high mileage champion runners still exist even though it was not a hugely common bike.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved my Yamaha's and can see why people love them, it's just too much of a project for a guy whose means are as limited as mine, who needs cheap reliable transportation. A bulletproof Honda would be just what I need. I will sell my car if it takes that to get the Nighthawk, and if that should happen, I will make the two engines one if nobody buys the stuff off me. I do like my little 400s and it is with great sadness I part with them if I do. Hard choices have to be made though.

Back