Horn issue!

Subtle Focus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I had to disconnect my horn yesterday due to the fact every time I turned the key to the "on" position it would stay on. The horn button is fine, what could be causing this annoyance?

-SF :confused:

A quick look thru the wiring diagram shows that one wire (brown?) of the horn is 12V from the fuse and the other wire (violet?) goes to the horn button and then to ground. It seems a fairly reasonable guess that the wire to the horn button has a direct short to ground somewhere before it gets to the button. You will need to trace this wire and inspect it along its length to find the likely bare spot where it is touching ground. This all assumes your statement that the horn button is fine, is factual. Make sure you test the horn button with a meter before tearing into the wiring.

The horn circuit is a total twat to work on because its open by default, and needs to close by being pressed shut. If you're having any issues it's because the spiral spring has shifted where it fits over the contact ring base. It should wrap around the contact base and the upper part of the switch is held aloft by the spiral spring, and they should only touch when depressed. if I remember correctly, the base and the button are grounded, and by pressing down you connect the circuit. So if you work on it with the horn hooked up and touch anything to the switch/turn signal cover, the horn will go off. (this is 80 percent of why my neighbors hate me, the other was a brazillian girl who was "a screamer"... )

if it goes off when you key on , you need to carefully tweak the position of the spiral spring (careful, lost mine and had to rebuild one from a ball point pen spring. not as easy as it sounds!) so it's not shorting to ground.

Good luck. Work indoors so you can find that spring when it launches far far away!

Drewcifer

My neighbors call me "honky" now. Jealous old duffers!

Yeah, the spring is connected to the button and both need to touch ONLY the baseplate, but not the brass nipple that fits up through the baseplate. The nipple is insulated so it isn't touching the grounded baseplate at all, So it goes....baseplate to spring, spring up to button, button down to nipple, nipple out to closed circuit, horn goes on. Don't lose the spring!!!!!!!!!!!

You can test this connection using a test light when the horn is disconnected. Your neighbors will thank you.

Back