Hot rectifier

Excess Impulse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm making some good progress on my bike, but it's still not ready for the open road, as I'm still working through a couple issues. I have buzzed it around the neighborhood a few times to shake down what will and won't work, and after 10 or 15 minutes of riding I parked it, and noticed my rectifier was hot to the touch. I have relocated it, and have 2 questions. Is it normal to get hot, and will it get enough air to cool in this location? My battery is charging. Rectifier.JPG

No expert but I am guessing it Will get enough air as mine was on the left aide under a side cover from the factory.

Is that an RR38?

Haven't used a combo unit yet but I wouldn't expect excessive heat from our type of charging system.

It'd get better airflow closer to either side of the bike and turned sideways to let air flow past it.
Hard to tell exactly how it's mounted but the better the contact area between the heatsink and frame the better. Using two bolts will help with heat transfer as well.

they all get hot, its how the excess power is taken away to the battery by converting to heat (hence the cooling fins on some)

they all get hot, its how the excess power is taken away to the battery by converting to heat (hence the cooling fins on some)
That's true and it caught me a little off guard yesterday. I was reinstalling the air filters on my 1978 after running it for a few minutes to check on something. Stuck fingers under the air filter housing and touched the rectifier. Not hot enough to burn just enough to get my attention!

Is that an RR38?
I'm not sure, it was on the bike when I got it, it still uses the stock regulator. Everything seems to be working, so I'm leaving it alone!
It'd get better airflow closer to either side of the bike and turned sideways to let air flow past it.
the better the contact area between the heatsink and frame the better. Using two bolts will help with heat transfer as well.
It is only mounted with one bolt, I was thinking of adding another tab for another bolt, makes sense to mount it sideways for better airflow. I have the regulator mounted under the pan under the seat, maybe I should mount the rectifier there as well.

I'm not sure, it was on the bike when I got it, it still uses the stock regulator. Everything seems to be working, so I'm leaving it alone!
If it works it works.
I may have mistakenly assumed it was a combo reg/rectifier based on its appearance.

I may have mistakenly assumed it was a combo reg/rectifier based on its appearance.
You may be right about it being a combo unit, it does have some extra wires that are not being used on it. If it looks like an aftermarket to you, then I trust your judgement. I don't know what a stock one looks like! But I defiantly will take your advice on relocating. I just saw a recent photo in the "new media" section of how someone mounted theirs to in front of the engine on the frame, turned sideways.

Back