how do I adjust the valves?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Is there a you tube video or idiots guide? I've never done it before and guess it might be the reason I get some engine stutter above 8,000 RPM. Everything else on the bike is pretty solid and I've been procrastinating for too long. I don't spend too much time at those high RPMs, but sometimes it is fun!

Thanks a lot! Perhaps I'll try and balance the carbs first as that does not seem too intimidating. Then may be I wont need to mess with the valves.

its not tooo much work to just check the clearances.... you will need to sync again if you make any adjustments anyway.

its not tooo much work to just check the clearances.... you will need to sync again if you make any adjustments anyway.

Yup, you would be doubling your work if you sync first.

Setting valve clearances is pretty intimidating, but read those links above - a lot of first timers (I am one of them) have chimed in with concern but if you are prepared and semi-understand the procedure you'll be fine.

Plus, there is something rewarding about setting valve clearances and starting the bike up for the first time and hearing that sweet sweet clicking sound!

Jso, it looks like you've got a DOHC, which is a bit more involved than the SOHC for adjusting valves. I was about to do this on the weekend but the weather was too nice and I decided to go for a ride instead :bike:

This post gives specific instructions for the DOHC:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104490&postcount=7

And the manual has a good section on adjusting valves, with pictures.

Good luck!

There is a proper set of steps to do a tune up. They are
#1 adjust timing chain
#2 adjust valves
#3 if points set gap and timing, TCI just check timing.
#4 Carbs.
You have to do the mechanical first then electrical then fuel. Doing them out of step means you will have to redo the steps you did out of step.
Leo

Checked out the post linked by Lego this morning then went for it. Very smooth process with good documentation. Plus it seemed to intimidate the hell out of my neighbor who pays someone to do the brakes on his pickup.
On the test ride noticed much better power across all engine speeds, but much higher idle than usual. Is this a normal side effect? Should I just turn down the idle screw?

Not to hijack but Im adjusting my valves on bike today also.Its been a few years since I done this and from reading threads on the sohoc bike once you are on the compression stroke your adjust both valves on the left side and repeat procedure except use rt to do the right side?

Carbs are now synced. Thanks for the tip. Had to turn the idle screw way down afterward. Nice burn on the back of my hand from adjusting it at red lights.

Back