How do I remove swing arm on 82 maxim?

caferacer

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Pretty simple, trying to get my swing arm off to make it easier to strip and paint but the bolt absolutely will not budge even when using a hammer. It also doesn't work to use a clamp. At this point I am thinking I there is something blocking it from coming out but I can't see anything in diagrams unless I am really missing it. Please help!

I did this about a month ago. I simply removed the bottom bolt, then the top bolt. Then I gave it a little shake.

Check out the attached pictures. They are of the bolt holding the swing arm on on both sides. Pretty sure that washer is welded in and I am betting that is why I can't get the dang thing out!!!!

Thanks a lot previous owner!!! :wtf::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Attachments

• IMAG0872.jpg
    IMAG0872.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 397
  • IMAG0873.jpg
    IMAG0873.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 415
That washer is supposed to be welded. Here is a picture of mine after reassembly.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428577192955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428577192955.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 417
  • uploadfromtaptalk1428577220560.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428577220560.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 365
The swing arm may be putting radial pressure on the bolt. You might try giving the swing arm a love tap while a partner tries to remove the bolt.

The swing arm may be putting radial pressure on the bolt. You might try giving the swing arm a love tap while a partner tries to remove the bolt.

There is a slight amount of play so I would think it is already loose. But I will try it again with a hammer and maybe a different clamp to apply more pressure.

Been there, done that, hope you aren't in the same boat. My swing arm bolt was rusted solidly to the bushing inside the swing arm. A 6lb sledge hammer wouldn't move it. No amount of heat or lube helped. I ended up drilling the head and shank of the bolt out so I could remove the swing arm from the frame. That wasn't fun, but it lead to some interesting customizing. [emoji6]

When I had to get my rusted swing arm bolt out I used my dad's rotohammer on hammer only mode. I used a propane torch and heated it up at both ends and in the middle and then I rotoHAMMER'D that baby and it actually came out.

Your bolt wasn't that badly rusted then. Heating in the middle of the swing arm pivot won't heat the bushing or bolt. There is an air gap between the swing arm and the bushing in the middle...

Back