Maxim swing arm bolt removal

PM replied to - Thanks!

My frame has some wear on the right side where the swingarm bolt goes through, but I can fix that once the swingarm is out. I'll just weld in another washer.

I appreciate you offering Lou's spare frame, but I'd like to keep my numbers matching if I can. ;)

It's a small world when working on these bikes...

Dave

Well, it took a lot of effort, but I was able to successfully drill out the bolt enough to get the swing-arm out. :thumbsup: And I'm glad I did, the needle bearings are completely rusted out. :(

Now I need to get new needle bearings, the spacer they run on, and a bolt. I think I'm also going to install grease fittings on the swing-arm so in the future I can lube the bearings without removing the swing-arm.

Dave

Take a look at the attached pic on post #9. You can see the swing-arm and all the related hardware.

I'd strongly suggest you get at this sooner than later. Once the bolt rusts into the sleeve, you are in for many hours of work. And chances are good that your bearings are already in rough shape unless they have been serviced since your bike was new.

My swing arm bolt was actually broke off on 1 end... I had the same problem though it would turn but wouldn't budge... you're just going to have to pound it out.. I had bought another 1 before hand but if you're trying to save it I would take grease fitting off first...good luck man

Back