How do remove the front wheel bearings?

foul

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant figure out how to remove the front wheel bearings. I went from the side with speedo drive dog, i pried off some seal above it and then i think i bent the retainer :doh: but didnt manage to actually get anything out.
I tried the manual but the schematics are too blurry to understand and i have never messed with wheel bearings before.

I believe the retainer you speak of is the speedo drive ears..they should pull out with pliers....

getting the bearings out......its usually a matter of finding a chisel that fits thru the hole....slide it thru to the opposite side bearing and catch the edge of the bearing...drive it out with a decent hammer.
theres a sleeve that sets between the bearings that the axle shaft slides thru...if you can get it to kick off to the side you can catch the edge of the bearing and with some whacks with the hammer and a punch/extension/chisel etc,..it should pop out.

getting the new ones back in requires a socket the same size as the outer perimeter of the bearing and driving it in square/evenly..or...I used a large washer from the hardware store...and ground it down to the proper diameter...then used a sparkplug socket on top of the washer

when you pound the old ones out you will need to put new ones back in...as well as the new seals

By retainer i mean there is some shim or something above the shim with ears, maybe its part of the seal i dunno, the rubber broke all off. Anyways it sits in a groove or something and when i plied it with a screwdriver it got bent, like a really soft metal.
Im just worried i cant buy little parts i keep breaking xD

there is a retainer ring that sits on top of the speedo drive...it is held in by the rubber seal.its a very thin ring almost like a piston ring in size...is that the one you are talking about?
at least thats the way it was on my wheels....I have the factory mags

I used a 3/8 rod that was flat on the end and slowely tapped it out. I couldn't get the seals out either and I also bent that very thin washer. I've been trying to find a replacement but can't tell if it comes with a bearing kit. If you go on a factory layout site it is on there with a part #, but no dealers around actually carry them even though their site says they do. Good luck!

Yes its the same ring. I think i only took half of the seal out or something, very think strips of rubber and some spring like wire loop, everything else looked like metal so i thought it was the wheel.

don't bother trying to remove the seals before you drive out the bearings. Just get that spacer to one side and evenly, drive out the opposite bearing, the seals and all will run out with the bearing!

Back