How many ground points do I have?

phatman1969

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good morning all, spent last night looking over the wiring on my 82 xs400 DOHC and had a quick question. How many places does the wiring actually ground. I found the one beside the cdi box, and the one where the battery grounds to the crankcase. The ground wires from the cdi box and the rectifier seem to go forward but I cannot see where they ground. I have looked and looked on the wiring diagrams and see the ground symbols but I am trying to figure out where they actually tie to the frame. Thanks

A few components ground through physical contact with the frame (not a wire). I don't think the rectifier has it's own ground; it's a series of diodes. I'm guessing (since I don't have one) that the cdi box would ground further along the path of ignition and may not have an actual wire.

I don't remember any other ground wires other than the two you mentioned already; the frame under the seat and the crankcase.

A few other people on here can definitely tell you for certain. Drewpy made his own wiring harness from scratch.

I used 5 grounds for my rewire. not sure on the DOHC, but the SOHC has 2 main ones plus the indicators. As BC says the components usually ground out to the frame them selves.

That's why its important to ensure the ones you have are good

Thanks for the info. That sounds like what i have. I know the bars act as grounds as well. Just making sure i have them all when i cut the back off this thing.

Back