how many kicks does it take you to start up?

My kickstarter doesn't work but the electric ignition works perfectly. Besides the occasional need to have the choke out during a cold start, it starts up fine with a push of a button.

What should I troubleshoot in order to fix the kickstarter on my '81 XS400?

Well I love my button too, but on a very cold morning when the batt feels irritable, it's just easier to kick it over. I believe in the saying "Two is one, one is none."

When my starter got crabby, I had the kicker. When I broke a kick lever, I had the button. Redundancy is important when you are dealing with redundancies. ;)

As for your kicker that isn't working you'll need to have a look to find out why the kickteeth aren't engaging the kick shaft. Not the hardest job in the world, but not easy. Can't recall if it means splitting the case or just opening the clutch side. Experts, feel free to weigh in.

I do recall the day after I did valves and the bike just snapped to life with a little pressure on the kicker. Killer feeling.

Yes, that is a very important adjustment for points guys like us.

New points are replaced with a new condenser at the same time to eliminate guessing. This is also why I harp on the idea that condensers are rarely if ever bad, if properly serviced, they are replaced every two years or life of points. Not long enough to fail!

Good luck, memorize the specs, get your feeler gauges, watch some youtube vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/dawino6260

These guys are a tech school all on their own!

Good luck

Drewcifer

hey Drewcifer,

Do you know if the 650 condensor from mikesxs will work on a 79 xs400f? seems to be the only one they carry.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/26-5114.html

When it's really warm I won't even bother kicking or electric start. Key on, choke on, push off down the Driveway and she pops to life.

I wish I had a kickstarter on my DOHC, that way I could spare my battery when trying to get my bike to run

(its not exactly alive atm)

Yes, but the condensor serves to act as a voltage reservoir. A failing one outputs huge amounts of voltage as the points open, sending out Zeuss like sparks.

in other words....

It's never the condensor. But I bought one off mikes xs that i never installed. Because it's never the condensor. It's almost always the timing. Or a short. or something else....

Tee hee. This is getting fun.

You can test the condensor. Google it. It will take you Dan's MC page. It's under electrical.

Back