how to hang muffler in back - any sugestions?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking of using a muffler hanger with a swiveling strap and drilling a hole at the "x" to attach the strap. Think that will work?

Attachments

• HOOKER TUNED FLOW.jpg
    HOOKER TUNED FLOW.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 348
Without a doubt, no. Well, ok, it could be done. But you will have to remove the rear shock and replace it with a fixed brace so that the rear suspension doesn't move at all...

I like the idea of attaching a bar from the rear set bracket. Do you think it matters if I attach the bar to the side of the muffler or should I get some sort of bracket for the bracket so it can be supported from the top of the muffler?

And...yeah these are not the best mufflers, ( they are used Hooker Tuned Flow Mufflers) but I only paid $60 and I want to try and make them work. They should be quieter than the slash pipes my bike came with. Assuming that they do not fall off...

Attachments

• hanger bracket.jpg
    hanger bracket.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 233
I have An angle grinder so I could cut the header pipes back. That's an interesting idea..

Xcuse my ignorance... But what is an "angle piupe"

He means a piece of angled exhaust pipe. Probably at about 45 degrees and it would cause the mufflers to angle up rather than go straight out the back. It would allow the muffler to be closer to a possible mounting point.

Thanks, you guys are full of good ideas! These particular mufflers are pretty long.. 28" I think. Might be harder to do the 45 degree thing... But I will check that out. I bet the local muffler place could make me an angled pipe sleeve. They made me two straight pipe sleeves for only $10. This bike is getting restored on a budget...

I think those long mufflers at an angle will look kind of funky. They are more classic style and would look best straight out the back. Id look into trimming down the header pipe and running a bracket first.

Back