How to jet a stock maxim 400 with pods?

abobber91

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find any exact answers. :shrug:

I'm on a tight budget and am trying to figure out how to re-jet my maxim 400 without having to buy a selection of jet sizes

I took the air box out because its cracked and the air intake boots are useless.

I have uni pod filters ready to install, The exhaust pipes and everything else on the bike is 100% stock.

Wondering if anyone else has switched to pods on a stock maxim 400 and found what jet and pilot sizes worked best

The altitude here is 2,643 ft

Im sure its the dohc, 2 cylinder

Like this
Yamaha%20XJ400%20Maxim.jpg

I can't find a lot of information on the dohc, but....

This thread says 132.5 on the left carb and 127.5 on the right.

Best I can do!

You might try searching a bit more intensely than I did; there may be more on here.

Jets are cheap. Better to buy more than you need than to have to not ride until the ones you need arrive...

I doubt you will need jets larger than 145's. I'm running 155's, but I also have free flowing mufflers in addition to pods and was riding in cold weather - close to freezing. I'd suggest buying (pairs) of main jets ranging from 137.5 to 145, and pilot jets ranging from 40 to 45.

Dave

Late to the party again, but tossing this in for what it's worth: There's a guy on "flea-bay" by the name of 6sigmajetkit that sells jet kits. Tell him the make, model, year, displacement, what air filters and exhaust are being used and the altitude you run at and he sends a custom set of jets and instructions. I've got a Maxim I'm switching to pod filters, and plan on ordering from the guy in the next couple days. Hoping yet another carb cleaning and the jets will smooth things out on my bike.

From what I've read the two sizes of jets are because of the battery pokes into the air box on the right side, restricting air flow to the right carb. With pods the jets *should* be the same for both sides

Back