Howdy from Texas

Ironhead

Too supple for prison.
Reaction score
Howdy from scorching hot Fort Worth, Texas. (High today: 106F / 41C.)

Just picked up a 1979 XS400F and I love it. It’s really clean and has 4k original miles. The PO only had it a few months. He replaced the plugs and plug wires and more importantly the carbs, but didn’t balance them, so that’s the first thing I’ll do. I already know how I’ll do that thanks to you guys on this forum! It runs really well but I think it can run better, and the bluing on the pipes is extremely uneven. I’ll also check the jetting but I believe it’s stock, and because the rest of the system is stock, those jets should probably be fine.

I chose the user name “Ironhead” because that’s the first bike I bought five years ago. It’s a hard-tailed, 1970 HD Sportster and I still have it. (As well as three vintage British basket cases and a running dirt bike.) It’s a lot of fun but being a 42 year old Harley, it’s under the wrench a lot more often than it’s on the road! I got the XS400 because it’s cool and I actually want to RIDE.

I’m sure no one cares, but as for a little about me… I’m into motorcycles, beer, long walks on the beach with your girlfriend, firearms, skateboarding, hiking and camping, self-reliance, linux, the DIY ethic, girls with tattoos, gardening, and on and on...

This is a longwinded intro because I’m a big believer in community - online and otherwise - so I wanted to offer a proper intro as I expect to participate in this forum fairly frequently. Several of you have thoroughly impressed and inspired me with your restorations, but I’ll ride the XS for the rest of the season as it is and tear it down over the winter for mostly cosmetic changes. No frame-up rebuild because it doesn’t need it and I don’t want to risk being without a running bike next spring.

~Chris

Hopefully my pic posting will work. These are from the Craigslist ad.

Attachments

• 79XS400F_1.jpg
    79XS400F_1.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 79XS400F_3.jpg
    79XS400F_3.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 79XS400F.jpg
    79XS400F.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 157
  • 79XS400F_4.jpg
    79XS400F_4.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 163
Another Texan, welcome! I'm sure you'll find everything you need here to help you. If you haven't already you can find a digital copy of the service manuals in the tech section.

Welcome to the Forum. That is a nice looking bike.

Where is the secret desert storage area where all these 30+ yr. old bikes with less than 5k miles seem to come from? Must be too hot to ride most of the year.

From our perspective, there is no such thing as winter in Fort Worth, just prime riding weather. When would you get 2 days in a row to tear the bike down? :wink2:

Back