How's my engine sound? Is there a knocking or just my Imagination?

gtg2034

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I took a small recording of my engine idling, I've noticed a slight "knocking" sound coming from the engine.. Too be honest I'm not sure if it's always been there and I'm just paranoid or if it genuinely is a bad sound. It's hard to hear it over the general engine sound but it's most noticeable between the 24 - 37 second marks.

https://vimeo.com/69099874

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Oh and as aside note for those who know my on this forum, my in-line fuel filter arrived yesterday from ebay and is being installed today :)

I definately hear something making alot of noise.Its much louder than the noise I heard in my engine.Have adjusted the valves cause they clatter pretty bad also if they are out of spec.Best thing you can do is get a stethascope from Habor freight for about $5.Take the tip put it to the top part of your engine where the valves are.Then take and put down at the bottom of your crankcase and listen.Also if you suspect that you have a rod knocking drain some oil and do a very thurough inspection to look for metal flakes.

Thanks Scorpio, though I was afraid to hear the answer!

I was planning on doing an oil change this week anyway so I'll check the discharged oil for metal flakes. If I found some what would that mean?

So you think I need my valves adjusted? I searched the forum and found this post from HoughGuru: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5849

Though this is my first bike and I've never done any work on motorcycles or cars before, I'm afraid that that procedure is a bit out of my reach. I can pick up a mechanics stethoscope this week though, what should I be listening for?

Thanks again :)

G

If your bike Maxium?The valve adjustment uses a different more complicated procedure than on my bike.
As for metal flakes if it is a rod knocking they are a result of the bearing s hammering on the clrankshaft cause excessive tolerances or space between the bear and crank.Normal clearances would be .0002-0005
I know and understand about hearing certain noises its not a good feeling cause its means the engine is in need of major and diffiuclt plus costly repair.Its cheaper to find another engine.
The thing is that noise can be caused from a number of things not always the worst if luck is on your side.
I just went through a similair scary noise expereince but what I hear on my engine is not as bad.I may have prematurely missed diagnosed what the noise is I hope.
Best of luck:)

If you have a maxim, use your manual and bentwrench's post in this thread to do your valve clearances. It's a bit of work, but if you take your time and be careful, not much can go wrong

Thanks for all your help guys! I should have specified my model, it is a Maxim..

I read bentwrenchs post a few times (and the manual of course) and I feel I'm still a bit too inexperienced to take on that level of repair alone. Luckily I'm meeting some buddies tomorrow so hopefully one of them know's someone who can help me out :)

Back