I have no idea where this wiring should connect?

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I know there are thousands of these threads, but since buying this bike the PO said "The headlight, gauge lights, and neutral lights are burnt out" but after changing and testing the lights, i found that the lights were not the problem. I did find this random plug under my airbox that doesn't plug into anything. When i tore it apart i have no mate for this, nothing that it should clearly plug into.

The plug has three wires (a Brown, Green and black) that come from the front of the bike, it branches off somewhere under the tank.

My oil light and turn signal light work, my turn signals, front and rear work, my brake lights also work. My electric start works, my kill switch works too.

My Neutral light never comes on, and my headlight, speedo, tach, and high beam light, have never worked. I suspect its this needing to be connected by to where? and how!? lol

EDIT: - It mates perfectly with the voltage regulator connection, but that already has a set of wires that come up from the back of the bike plugging into it, just so you guys get a picture for what this bundle looks/fits like.

The PO did replace the fuse box with those Orange inline type fuse holders and modern fuses, i don't know if he removed any wires permanently though, he didn't say.

The bike is a 79 xs400 F. I have looked on wiring diagrams in my Clymer Manual but the best i can see is it connecting to something, but on the diagram that something has no label, its just a box.... :wtf:

I have attached a photo to show you the bundle of wires in question.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo 2013-09-08 11 45 22 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-09-08 11 45 22 PM.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 93
It looks like he did what iI did. He replaced the VR then just stuck the old VR wires up some where, till he can either remove the battery box and take off the old bad VR. I FINALLY JUST CLIPPED OFF MY OLD BAD wire vr last week. Sorry for the all caps. Vr=voltage reg.

There is already a voltage regulator attached under the seat connected to wiring from the rear of the bike, so should there be 2 Voltage Regulators on the bike?

Thanks! The second image is the diagram i was using, notice to the bottom right above condenser is an unmarked box, with the exact wire colours i have going into it.. thats what confused me.

Yes, my turn signals all flash perfectly fine..

I am stumped here, because i would like this to be the reason my headlight/guage/neutral light isn't working but i can't see how they would be related..

that unmarked box is the flasher unit, see how it goes into the self cancelling unit.
TBH those wires seems very thick just for that and I suspect they are Voltage regulator wires.

Did you run and voltage check on them to confirm they are attached to something?

I haven't run any time of voltage testing yet. I have the bike apart now, and the battery is out as I am going to remove the battery box and carbs for cleaning (just need to figure out to take this battery box out!)

This set of wires/plug looks exactly like another plug on the bike that connects to the VR,

So everyone keeps saying this may be for the VR too.

Should I have 2 Voltage Regulators on the bike? I already have one and its already connected.

This connector has female connection on the end, where the VR is male, so this isn't from an old VR that the OP moved or forgot to remove.

Wow. Okay.. Tonight was eventful.

When i finally got down to it, these wires belong to a Voltage Regulator attached to the batter box. So perhaps that stopped working and the PO go a new one and never bothered to remove the old one.. so i removed it.

Still no change in my lights not working..

I also removed the carbs, and found my pilot screws stripped :| not happy about that, sooooo i dunno what I am gonna do.. Maybe just replace the mains and put it back on the bike and hope it runs fine?

Yea, as you figured out, its a pain in the but to work on the items attached to the battery box. sometimes it seems the metal locked into the screw/bolts. I just cut my extra one off late last week, so I don't get tempted to try it again.

Sorry about your pilot screws. MikesXs probably have them available.

Thanks, this bike was a great deal, and i can see the PO had tried his own make shift fixes.. like the addition of Pod filters, attached using PVC pipe lol

It seems he tried re-jetting and failed.. so now i have to clean this mess up haha

I already have pilots and mains, since i was planing on fixing his botched pod filter mod, but now the pilots are going to be a bit of work :/

Wow. Okay.. Tonight was eventful.

When i finally got down to it, these wires belong to a Voltage Regulator attached to the batter box. So perhaps that stopped working and the PO go a new one and never bothered to remove the old one.. so i removed it.

Still no change in my lights not working..

I also removed the carbs, and found my pilot screws stripped :| not happy about that, sooooo i dunno what I am gonna do.. Maybe just replace the mains and put it back on the bike and hope it runs fine?

lights may be down to the light relay that's mandatory over there. It works on the 4th wire from the alternator and has a diode to stop juice returning.

check there first as it an electromechanical device.

Back