I NEED HELP!!!!

Justin5364

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Justin and I recently purchased a mid-eighties xs 400 motor and I got the motor itself, the wiring harness, and the necessary cables for operation. I've always tinkered with old harley davidson motorcycles so the wiring harness on this thing is a giant headache! I'm planning on mounting this motor on a sand rail frame and I am in desperate need of electrical know-how. All i want to do is have the on/off key, electric start and a power wire hooked up for lighting and i don't know where to start. Please if you have any advice involving wire color coding and splicing or a pdf file of harness color coding to make this project possible I would really appreciate it!!!! Please email me at jpc5364@psu.edu Thank you!

My problem is that I don't know exactly what I have either....Im sure it's a dohc motor and I'm almost positive its electronically fired as opposed to points and condensers but other than that I'm a little fuzzy

I've been looking but I haven't found anything specific yet...I'm a little new to this whole thing
Welcome to the Forum. Post a photo if you can.
Maybe these will be a help - not sure if the diagram will match what you have - I think it's for a sohc, but maybe there are common principles that will help. Also this previous thread:

Attachments

• xs400 wiring diagram.PNG
    xs400 wiring diagram.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 268
Back