I think I need a new clutch, do I?

Lepttack

Lepattack
Reaction score
I got out to ride my new old '80xs400 and I think it needs a new clutch. It starts to grab (I would guess) at the last inch or less of letting the clutch lever out, then it's really sensitive about getting into first. Thoughts?

Sounds like a problem that needs a little diagnosis.Have you lubed the clutch cable? Have you checked the release mechanism,and adjusted it? First adjust the clutch at the clutch itself,by removing the cover plug,loosen the locknut,turn the adjusting screw in[clockwise]until it meets resistance,then back one quarter turn,then lock it,then adjust the lever to .08-.12" play.but the cable needs lube,just take it loose from the lever,and put a few drops of oil into the cable. lha:bike:

Meets resistance? As in do it while the engine is running? I've got a copy of a manual so I'll go through and make some adjustments.

No,while the motor is off! You can't adjust the clutch while it is running.I was reading that pretty much from the manual.just as you adjust the idle mix screw on the carb,you bottom it out gently.Then back off 1/4 turn.real simple. lha

Back