I wish I could rationalize this jacket

bentwrench

DOHC Crazy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I ride now with a really good quality Joe Rocket red leather jacket. Full armour, but it looks a little dated. But it works. I like things that just quietly work (although with all that red, it LOUDLY works.)

But I love this jacket (ignore the model who looks like he's having a bad day. Who wouldn't love to be a model showing off Italian riding gear?)

1533566_001_F.png

Full armour, vintage leather look, quiet logo... I love the style, and can imagine myself in this and a vintage look white Bell helmet on the bike.

I can get this jacket for about $1000 CDN. My bike cost $600 CDN. How does it make sense to spend so much more, especially when I already have a jacket?

I need arguments to present to my wife. Help me!

If you like it and can afford it then it must be an essential bit of safety kit! ;)

I like the Held retro jacket:

Held-ROCCO-Retro.jpg

Currently I got a Weise jacket:

Weise_brooklands_jacket.jpg

Decent modern kit costs money simple as that. The style of kit costs the same pretty much no matter what so think that justifys the cost (does to me anyhows - although I am single lol) :D

I'd like to make a more reasonable suggestion.

A tailor could make you a similar jacket for 175 CDN. Think it over.

Make what you can't afford my friend.

Drewcifer, I have been looking up tailors, and there is one nearby who even specializes in biker gear. I still need to rationalize the second jacket (and I may do so by pointing out that my arms are so long, they never fit any jacket properly - presto! Time for bespoke riding gear!)

Who cares if it costs more than your bike?

It's something that potentially can save your life... how much is your life worth? On Saturday, me and a buddy were riding together at the motocross track. I ended the day driving home myself and he took a helicopter ride home.... he's in the ICU on life support right now....

Please don't cheap out on safety gear.

I spent three times the cost of my XS on safety gear.

I looked at some Dainese jackets in person; they are very nice...

Wow, it's a really neat old school jacket but I could never justify that much for a jacket. The extra dollars don't increase safety. I'm with Fubar - lots of top notch discounted last years model jackets out there.

To an extent the dollars do increase safety. The Dainese leather feels significantly thicker than the average jacket. Construction and sewing are also much better than a budget jacket. I'm sure there is something comparable for less, but the extra money does get you a far better jacket that isn't going to disintegrate.

Fubar, Hermosa Beach is south of the famous Venice beach by 12 miles or so, it's clean and quiet and far from the problems of Los Angeles proper.

Back