ICBC Collector status restore

karlkarlng

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
HI im new to this forum and i would like to restore i bike ive seen on craigslist. Im going to look at it this week end but apparently it has low compression on one cylinder and a digital gauge cluster. the seller is asking for 1000 obo. what do you guys think? do i need a stock gauge cluster to be able to receive collector status?
00v0v_bQB7Pq7CDWp_600x450.jpg

i was gonna go do a wet test to rule out if its the piston rings or just the valves and im pretty confident i can clean up and lap the valves myself. not so much the rings as i don't know much about bike engines and if they need to be honed broken in etc. i think if i offer him 200 he will just tell me to f** off

The bike looks far from stock. Handle bars, gauges, exhaust, intake/air filters. Also the top end looks like it's off an earlier model bike. Maybe the entire motor so I would check the vin number on the motor and frame and see if they match. That is what I can see from the pic. Not a $1000 bike. If it has a clean title 2-300 tops. At least the frame hasn't been all hacked to crap. Those bikes are for parts only imho.

Back