idiot moment

mitch

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just did a simple oil and filter change and filled her up with oil and then found that i had stupidly forgotten to put that little spring that goes in behind the filter.
will this matter! just wondering should i dump the oil put the spring back in and reuse the oil or will it be fine with out that spring.
thanks

I would definitely put the spring back in, it's needed to keep the filter against the engine block. I'd just carefully pull off the filter and save the oil that comes out and put it back when you're finished. Don't feel too dumb, I couldn't remember which way the filter went in until it finally dawned on me that the recess has to be toward the spring or the thing won't fit.

thanks i thought i'd have to put it back in. i was doing it all outside and it started raining about 1minute after i found that dam spring.:doh:

the spring holds the filter to the engine block, don't forget the large thin washer that the spring sits on too!

the spring holds the filter to the engine block, don't forget the large thin washer that the spring sits on too!

mine did not have any washer that the spring sits on. should i try and source one?

you can still get them from yamaha as they fit the XJ and V max too.

part # 90201-21608 washer plate

just to recap the sequence is; (engine first)

oil filter with flat end towards engine
washer plate
spring
cover with large O ring
oil filter bolt with O ring

they are fitted for a reason, not just for a laugh! :D

The small o-ring goes on the filter cover bolt. I have had 7 of these engines apart and only 2 had the washer:wtf: Seems they got lost a lot. I would go to yamaha and see if they have one.

Last edited:
I lost the washer years ago and I have just used the spring. This year I got a metric washer from the hardware store but it was too big on the diameter. You can get a washer from Yamaha but they are $9.00 (ask me why). If you get a metric washer from the hardware you can get one for $.75 BUT you need to use a grinder to whittle down the washer so the inside is 21mm (or fits the bolt) and the outside is 32mm (on fits the filter). I don’t think if is too thick it makes any difference, it needs to hold the spring from the gasket.

Robert

Ok thanks for the help guys, that makes a lot of sense! good thing I didn't try to fire her up without it on there :O

Removing the oil filter
the spring and plunger are retained by a pin across the center bolt. I am having troubles removing the pin to disassemble the unit..... help please!!!

Do you mean the by-pass valve in the bolt? Why would you want to take this apart?

Not sure what you mean there should not be a pin to hole the filter on the bolt. Any pics of this?

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/oil-pump-xs400h-1981_bigyau0048a-12_4d14.gif
here are the schematics, its number 21 or 23, it holds everything together, in my 'owner's workshop manual' it says just to knock the pin out of place and the oil filter is then accessible but i cant seem to get it out... when you look down into the oil filter, its a pin sitting perpendicular to the bolt, gotta get this moved out.
thanks

Those parts are in the bolt and should not be removed unless they have broken or falling out. There should be no pin holding the filter on. Any pics of your bike?

Last edited:
just pull hard on the filter, the seal will be holding it in.

don't lose the thin washer between spring and filter.

Back