Idle adjustment screw threading issue

ghoulgang

78 tracker/cafe/rat thing
Reaction score
First post here, let me just say that this forum has been invaluable in introducing me to motorcycle maintenance, so a big thanks to all of the contributors.

Bike Rundown

1978 xs400, tracker/cafe/rat thing. Has some issues and can be very moody, but it's fun to fiddle around with and is a really fun bike to ride when she's being nice.

Issue

I pulled into the fuel station because I was running low, and my bike keep dying at idle at red lights and in traffic (annoying) I'm stille playing around trying to find the sweet spot, but for now it's just a constant game with the idle adjustment depending on how warm it is and the type of riding I'm doing, *anyways* while the bike was idling I went in to adjust the idle screw, and it didn't seem to be making much of a difference, so I spun it a lot both ways, until eventually (I was wearing gloves and not paying too much attention and didn't really know where that screw went or what it really did- still learning) ...I ended up spinning it all the way out, and the spring went flying etc. I found what I THOUGHT were all the pieces and went about trying to repair it with no tools at all (I used a dime to take off the left side pod filter so I could see what I was doing)

Perplexing. the screw itself goes through the bracket (protected by what I'm assuming the Haynes manual depicts as the bush) and then there is a spring at the end, and a little flange coming off the side of the carb, with a threaded hole aligned above the end of the throttle control lever. Now it looks like the screw should be surrounded by the spring and thread into this flange until it pokes out and depresses the throttle control lever to the desired amount. The problem I'm having is that the screw doesn't thread into that flange, it is too narrow, the threads on the flange are wider than then threads on the screw, it moves straight through the threads with little resistance and doesn't bite onto them at all. The threads on the screw do not look damaged at all, and I can't really tell the condition of the threads on the flange but the carbs are pretty new and I can't imagine a finger tightened screw would be able to damage them. (It doesn't feel like a stripped threads problem)without the screw staying in place the throttle control lever closes all the way, the idle drops off and the bike doesn't run...

My question(s)

Am I missing a piece?! Is that screw meant to thread into that flange? is it likely that the threads could have stripped? The thing was working before I twisted it off so it's got to be SOMETHING... Someone please point out something obvious :doh:

(I have a Haynes manual and in the carb diagram it shows the screw, the bush, the bracket and the spring, but does not show the flange, or if there is supposed to be like a washer or a nut or something)

The only digital camera I have (I'm a film guy) is on my iPhone, which I conveniently dropped into a glass of water yesterday Morning :S

Maybe a pic will show better what is up.
Used a friends phone to take the pictures. I am easily able to push the screw through the flange...

niTT1B5.jpg

zcOBFxH.jpg

6oz706c.jpg

I have a spare set of carbs and the thread there is stripped. Sounds like you have the same problem. I would be keen to know of a fix too. Helecoil maybe?

I agree it sounds like the bolt or where it goes in is stripped:( You also should have a small spring in between the two.

Attachments

• DSC02020.jpg
    DSC02020.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 262
I've got the spring,

The bolt is definately not stripped, the threads are in great condition with no obvious sign of wear, it's hard to get a read on the place it goes into without taking off the carbs, but the only issue I have is it seems like its too... Easy to push the bolt through, if the threads on the flange were stripped, wouldn't it be rough and uneven. Kind of gummed up feeling?

Also how do you strip threads with a bolt that is only ever finger tightened?! The only piece in there putting any force on the threads is that tiny little spring...

That metal where it screws in is very soft:( Maybe try and wrap some plumbers tape on the bolt to see if it will grab the threads enough to work:shrug:

or bend some U-shaped thin metal with hole and some fine threads...something like this

Attachments

• idle_screw.jpg
    idle_screw.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 235
I tried the Teflon tape and it seems to grab? But after a while I had to re-tape it. Definitely not a permanent fix. Will be riding around with tape in my pocket for sure. Also tried to fit a narrow piece of rubber tubing on to the flange, but it didn't seem to be thick enough to keep the throttle control lever depressed enough...

This whole thing is so frustrating why would they make the carbs out of such soft metal? Does anyone know where I could find specs for the idle adjustment screw? Diameter, thread pitch etc. there might be a way to weld a new nut or something on to the flange? It seems stupid to have to replace the entire carb because of a stripped flange hole...

Anyone have any other ideas?!

How would you thread that thin of a piece of metal? Is that beyond the ability of a hardware store tap & die set?

Interesting idea though...

2 new tires and went for a ride earlier this month.
Son of a :gun:, if I didn't have this exact description of a problem (at top) happen - right down to the finely threaded throttle screw not stripped.
The problem is in picture one, a part of the carburetor body.
Any recent posts on this and the best and/or simplest crude solution?(then the most elegant? ha)? 2nd ride and 2nd problem. Mid-Feb went for a ride and regulator stopped charging, battery was at 7v when I barely made it home. On the my third used voltage reg. now! (any relation with v. regulator failing and thrashing the bike to redline or is that coincidence?).
This latest problem, when approaching stop sign or in town, had to pull choke out a click or just keep blipping it at idle. LOVE my girl.

Back