Idle adjustment

happy61

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
What is the procedure for getting to the idle screw? The one between the carbs. Looks like you almost have to remove the tank to get to it. Am I missing something?

Just did some checking on U-tube. I guess you would call it the throttle stop screw. I'm idling at around 1800 when warm. Need to drop it down a bit.

This is the idle screw:

idleairscrew.jpg

This can be reached without removing anything. I sometimes adjust the idle speed when I'm sitting at a stop light.

The carb balance screw is in front between the carbs and can only be accessed with the tank off. By the way...these are not my carbs, i pulled this image off the web. Wouldn't want people to think I'd let my carbs look like this ;) :

400carbs1.jpg

I don't know of any relatives in Ohio, but there could be. We pronounce it "hoe". Most people pronounce it "huff".

I don't know of any relatives in Ohio, but there could be. We pronounce it "hoe". Most people pronounce it "huff".
Yes, we pronounce it "huff". My people were from around Adrian, Mich. Anyhow, thanks again for the help with the idle, looking forward to my next ride.

Back