idles great but floods out as soon as its put in gear

yehaw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I picked up an xs400 the other week from this dude before i got my permit. the guy i bought it from started it up for me and it ran great, i revved it few times and all was good. i hauled it home and tried to go for a ride and thats where i ran into my problem. the bike started right up for me on the first kick full choke. i let it warm up and shut the choke off and everything was good. as soon as i put it in gear it just died. i started it back up but i gave it gas when i put it in gear and i could keep it running for a litte bit but it died out again. so i pulled the plugs the left was soaked and the right was sutty black, so i replaced them and tried again and the same thing happens. i pulled the plugs back out cleaned them with carb cleaner and a rag after that i pulled the carbs out and they didnt look to bad but i pulled all the jets out cleaned them all real well blew all the holes out with carb cleaner and compressed air. i checked the diaphragms and they were relatively new no holes or anything. i bench synced them with a guitar string and got them about perfect, and even replaced the oiled foam on the air filters. also i have the fuel air mixture set to 2 turns out. i put the carbs back in and make sure everything is tight, and what do you know the same thing happens. it runs great as long as the bike is in neutral but as soon as its put in gear it floods out. i have absolutely no idea what is going on here :banghead: .

also this is my first post here and this website is great i refer to it all the time when im working on my bike thanks guys

Welcome to the forum. Post pictures if you can.

Did the previous owner put it in gear? I'm not one of the gurus but I wonder if your problem could be unrelated to gas/carbs.
My bike had similar symptoms. The clutch plates were stuck together.
Took them out, separated them, oiled them, reinstalled, and she shifts pretty well now. :)

I couldn't view your video, and you are going the wrong way for an initial settings. We recommend 3 turns out for a starter position. The thought of it dying when you put it in gear leaves me to think, I am going on a edge, and state Air is being restricted too much. (I bet you have a moth in a carb, or giant beetle) they will crawl into the darnest places.

That video is private. Can't see it.

Does changing the throttle affect how well the bike runs? Revs increase smoothly as you open the throttle up?

What year is the bike? What filters are on it? What jets are in it? Are the floats set?

Back