Ignition 3-wire question

bentwrench

DOHC Crazy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My ignition has 3 wires, but my manual states 4 (manual is for the Seca, so there may be a small difference there.

Red, Brown and Blue.

I'm pretty sure that if there's three wires, then when I turn my key, all three must be connected, right?

Thoughts, or the correct wiring diagram anyone?

My ignition has 3 wires, but my manual states 4
I'm pretty sure that if there's three wires, then when I turn my key, all three must be connected, right?
Thoughts, or the correct wiring diagram anyone?
I don't have a clue how to read it, but a while ago I copied this to my file from something Jayel posted. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• xs400 wiring diagram.PNG
    xs400 wiring diagram.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 632
Bueller, I guess we don't know where to start, Are the wire Red, Brown, Blue from the book, or from what you see? Where are you looking at? Give us a picture of these 3 wires. Even if we don't have a newer bike, like yours, we might be able to draw generalized conclusions that will help.

Tobie Arfstrom
81 XS400sh
Robbinsdale MN

Lou, that wiring diagram helps. arfstrom, I will do so later on today.

The three run to the ignition, which is fine, but which I'm cutting off. I'm tracing my wiring diagram, which is for a Seca, but which has been really good to me until this particular issue. The Seca diagram has 4 wires. Lou, yours looks like it matches, but I'm going to do a little experimentation to see, for instance, if the tail light lights up when I only connect red and brown.

It's also quite possible that a PO has changed out my ignition with an aftermarket one, as I only seem to have off and on, no park, no lock. In which case I'll need to trace some more wires to see where everything goes to.

Ah, 30 year old bikes...

i know my 79 all the locks match . and there is only on and off on the ignition i dont have park or lock

Back