Intro and Questions 1982 XS400

Hmm, so it's neither the carbs nor the timing... seems like that means that it's an electrical issue then, otherwise it could be a problem with the engine itself

First thing I would do is hook up a timing light anyway, then rotate the crank by hand until the light fires. On mine, the left would fire about 30 degrees before the timing arm reached the top of the timing mechanism when I used it in this manner, so that's what I expect you to see as well. Pay attention to the rotor after the light fires; the "LF" mark should then come around the next time the timing mechanism looks like your last pic. If not, then I would think that the PO wired the coils wrong at some point and they just need to be swapped. It may be unlikely, but it's better than having to replace the coils or the ignition module, and definitely better then opening her up even more (remember: Optimism).

I already tried switching the leads to the coils. No luck.

I mean...I'm seeing spark, it seems to be within specs for timing/ignition. Maybe it's my carbs?? I'm getting fuel into the bowls and the floats seem to be working properly and leveling off about 3mm below the mating surface. I can feel suction, when I cover the carb opening. Also, the plugs don't seem to be getting that wet after all these attempts to get her started. Maybe it's a fuel issue?

This is frustrating.

My best guess at this point is that there is some kind of build-up in the engine; try grabbing something like those fuzzy pipe cleaners from a crafts store and scraping the top of the cylinder from the spark hole, or even try the intake ports of the carbs, and see if it is obstructed or pulls anything out.

Back