Is it possible to fix a clutch push rod?

Omega

Resurrectionist.
Reaction score
Ok so on strip down of my bike I take the clutch apart bag everything up and put the push rod on my seat... Sat on it and snapped it, now I have a complete clutch rod from a 80's series but I have lost the smaller part of my old rod which is from a 82 rk. Now what I want to know is is it possible to fix it if I find the part and are the rods the same length? As usual all help is appreciated:thumbsup:

I'm a bit confused. You have a Maxim/Seca and you broke your clutch rod. You're wondering if a clutch rod from a SOHC will work on your DOHC?

It seems the push rod for my bike, 81 SOHC, is compatible with all these bikes. So it does seem that the Next version of bike, is not compatible. Hope that helps, I went to a Website that sells parts, (www.partzilla.com) http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-371-16357-02-00.html
Hope that helps Tobie
1973 TX500 CLUTCH
1974 TX500A CLUTCH
1975 XS500B CLUTCH
1976 XS500C CLUTCH
1977 XS360_2D CLUTCH
1977 XS500D CLUTCH
1978 XS400-2E CLUTCH
1978 XS400E CLUTCH
1978 XS500E CLUTCH
1979 XS400F CLUTCH
1979 XS400_2F CLUTCH
1980 XS400G CLUTCH
1980 XS400SG CLUTCH
1981 XS400 - XS400H CLUTCH
1981 XS400SH CLUTCH
1982 XS400SJ CLUTCH

Ok I have a 82 seca. I bought a rod from a 80~ model 400 but it must be from a sohc as its about 2" too short now I came up with solutions to my problem...
1- weld the bastard and smooth it up so it slides correctly.
2- take the first piece, place it in a lathe and then drill and thread the center at any suitable size , repeat for the shorter part and then find a bolt or similar and join the two with some loktite....
Now for the imagination to take charge, I saw a thing on YouTube about the power of friction, it was basically two metal parts in a metal lathe contraption that spun the two in opposite directions generating enough heat to fuse the two together. Now to me this seems possible but the only thing throwing me is that both parts are different metals, ones aluminium and ones a type of alloy. How reliable and reasonable would theses options be? If all else fails in gonna make the sucker out of stainless and sit pretty knowing I can't accidentally snap it.

Yeah due to the pressure and the fact that the little pusher spins like mad when I comes into contact with the plate. Here's what I did, drilled out the center of the rod 3ml in diameter and about an inch deep, threaded it, chamfered the edges just enough to give a good welding surface and then screwed in a stainless bolt that I cut the end off ( fitted fine just took some persuading) screwed the other side on till both sides met. Now this was the fun bit, I broke out my tig and welded both parts together. I finished up by taking it back to the lathe and cleaned up the weld so it was flush with the rest of the rod. It works fine but I made another one as I don't want to have a rod that could sever and strip my seals or worse.... Friction fusing didn't work too well, the little hard piece ate part of the rod

Back