Is realy as scary as I read.

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys I was reading the thread where someone asks if these bikes are safe to ride on the interstate.
Theres some scary stuff in there,being the fact Im just learning how to ride and havent taken my bike on the expresway yet I want to know what you guys think.Im considering getting another bike at sometime in the future but for now I have my xs400 to ride and have to make the best of it.What I read is when riding into the wind on the expressway it realy slows down alot.Im 5`11 220lbs and being the fact these bikes are light am I going to get blown off the road when getting passed by a semi?I have had my bike up to 65mph for a short stretch which scared the crap out of me.Mainly cause there wasnt much room to stop when the road ended.I would have to say in about a 1 mile stretch.I dont want a very heavy bike like a harley either.Im pretty sure if i got another bike I would feel comfortable on a bike up to 700 or 750.Also I dont know this for fact but from what i read these bikes have a top speed of 90mph stock but for how long?Not that Im going to ride it that fast but say I want make a trip on the interstate and want to 75mph for 100 mile trip am I going to be safe or am I better off just using the bike as a comuter bike around town with occasional hiway riding?I also read that rejetting,changing the exaust to a 2 in 1 and a sproket with1 less tooth will help with power.Whats your guys take on this?

My take is that your greatest enemy will be your nervousness.

Work up to it. Try doing one exit to another on a not-so-busy stretch. Let the bike get it's legs, and see what it feels like at 55, 60, 65.

You may eventually find that it's not a comfortable bike for highway riding, depending on your experiences. Other bikes will feel different. My Bandit 1200 was built for long highway stretches (well, except the seat, which put my butt to sleep, but that's another story.)

Without a fairing, I find that about 135 km/h is the fastest I'm comfortable at, and not for long periods of time. I'm 6' 180 lbs and in shape, but I just get tired of the buffeting of the wind.

That said, bombing around town is my favourite thing to do on this bike. And 100 (60 mph) is comfortable all day long. But Canadians speed like it's a sport, so I just stay in the slow lane, and enjoy the ride.

Work up to it, try it a bit, see if you like it, try it some more, or don't. That was my process way back when, and I still follow it on any new bike while I get used to it.

My take is that your greatest enemy will be your nervousness.

I agree with this; confidence is everything.

I wouldn't "plan" on making 100+ mile trips yet; work your way up to that.

Some people can handle riding a small bike at high speed and some people cannot. The bike is capable; the variable is you.

The 100 mile plus trip was just an example but eventualy I want to ride at least 60-70 miles to a place I like to go that I normaly drive my truck to.Cost me $30 in the truck to make that trip I figure with the bike round trip will cost me $10.Its combined expessway and 2 lane hiway to get there.Probaly 15 miles on the expressway but its wild.The drivers in cars do 85-90mph.Even in my truck I only go 70mph on long trips.I get passed like im driving a gocart:yikes:.Theres crap load of semi trucks on this stretch of interstate.

Also the things that i mentioned in my 1st post will that help and if I included a windsheild?

A windshield and fairings will help with wind blast hitting your face/head, but the xs400 is small and will move around on the highway when there is a strong wind no matter what. It isn't a big deal though; you just steer against the wind.

buy a small windsheild, as it makes 1 hell of a difference.

wind buffeting does get tiring. I did 300 miles at 80mph on british motorways, but its boring boring boring.
I'd much rather go scratching the back lanes and arrive with a big grin on my face (and a few flies on my teeth).

just keep the bike in good tune and you'll be fine. As been said, its down to the rider and awareness of what's around that counts. As a guide its said the a bike can easily cruise at 3/4 of its top speed, so that's 75 mph for us

You will want to make sure your bike is in good running condition. Especially at higher RPM and full throttle. Your ability to downshift and accelerate will also be tested. Our bikes simply don't have enough power to twist the throttle and pass a vehicle when cruising at 60 or 70 mph in top gear.

I tried a highway run before I got my carb jetting correct. While I had no problem getting up to speed and merging with traffic, I couldn't pass a truck that was moving slow while climbing a grade. As soon as I tried to pull along side the truck I was being buffeted and loosing speed due to the lean jetting. I was very nervous because my mirrors were full of SUV. Now that I have the jetting sorted, it is much better. But it is still only a 400. I expect to stay in the slow lane and only pass when I have to. Or keep to secondary roads and enjoy the ride!

Thanks everyone for your replys these responces mean alot for me.As being a new rider I want to stay safe and dont need my mrs worring anymore than she already does.
Dave Im planing on rejetting my carbs already have the ones i want picked out.Also been considering the windsheild since I 1st bought the bike along with a handlebar change.I look forward to the day when i can make some enjoyable short trips on my bike.I know alot of back roads I could take all the way to detroit if I needed.I live 1 hour 20 minutes away from DownTown.I do most of traveling down to the burbs though or up north of here.

Ride my bike to work whenever I get a chance. Part of the trip is rush hour interstate traffic. I stay in the right lane and go around 70mph. Didn't scare me any more than if I Was on my Harley. Depending on how far I have to ride, I might rest my feet on the passenger pegs and lay down a bit...helps with wind fatigue.

You should be able to get on the highways just fine. Just stay out of the lane and ride within your comfort zone.

I took the xs on the I-95 yesterday and was able to cruise at 85mph with no problems. Tach was at about 7.5-8k at those speeds. It felt like it had a bit more in it too, but I didn't want to keep the revs too high for long. Dropped it down to 75mph and cruised along no problem.

I would think with a +1 sprocket in front it would the right setup for long rides.

If I95 is as bas I heard it is noway would ride my bike on that expressway.It would be like interstate 80-90 going through the outskirts of chicago.Thats hell of a crazy interstate.

My ride was after midnight, so it wasn't bad at all... I def wouldn't want to be doing that in heavy traffic lol. If I needed to I could, but not a pleasant ride.

Its all about your comfort level. Watch a video of streets in India... that should make your highway seem pleasant lol.

I ride 1-95 daily. Rush hour, nights, weekends. It's not that bad. Just pay attention. Stick the right hand lane and stay out of blind spots.

Stop being a baby! :)

Back