Is there a maxim cafe racer?

zampination

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of you and nice to meet you!

I'm this close in buying this bike Yamaha xs250 special (maxim)
1332857578_315478152_1---YAMAHA-XS-250.jpg

And i want to convert it into a cafe racer but i havent found not even one of that or the 400 in the internet...

My concern is if i can fit a descent tank like the Mojave
%2524%2528KGrHqJ%252C%2521lwE2FT5o3qGBNp5%252B0%2528hbQ%257E%257E0_12.JPG

The problem i think it'll be in the height between the top of the engine and to the frame's top near to the neck as indicated in the fotos below

https://www.box.com/s/fc05b3c4a1df0b92ea85

https://www.box.com/s/67b9b7ae3bdf40679089

https://www.box.com/s/60804266b705d145bb8d

Pink line indicates the horizontal "line" that the tank and seat will present according to plans in my mind. Meaning that i want the bottom of the tank to reach that pink line in order to get straight and horizontal with the frame's geometry and look good.

I wanna get as close as possible to this result with my convertion
Y37LR.jpg

And no i can't find any XV Virago's with monoshock in Greece :banghead:

Could the above problem (or not) be the reason why aren't any maxim cafe racers out there? :shrug:

P.S fotos are from a maxim 400 frame, but i heard they're the same

And guys... I really wanna buy this bike!:( PLEASE HELP :bike:

Sorry guys if i'm busting your balls rights now but i really need your help on this :shrug:

Ηas anyone seen any descent maxim cafe racers out there so i can be certain that the bike i'm going to buy is the right one for such a convertion? :smoke:

And to the owners of this bike. Do you think the long distance between the top of the engine and top of the frame near to the neck is a problem in order to fit or customize a descent tank that looks good as a cefe racer thing?

Sorry if my english is bad. I'm not very good with all the terminolegy around bikes :D

Last edited:
It is whatever you want it to be. If you think it looks good then that's what matters, if you don't then work on it till it's where you want it.

I just google'd maxim cafe bike and came up with a few decent looking ones.

I really wonder where those are... Seen nothing in 4 days now... And guys, if you seen any, post it's picture and don't just claim it exists..

Remember XS/XJ 400/250cc MAXIM/SPECIAL since 1983 and then. WITH MONOSHOCK
attachment.php

Maybe you're not familiar with this new intertube service called "Google" or the "Search" function on YouTube. Below is what I found after 1 minute or two of searching:

Hope you see a few good ideas in there somewhere. (Sorry about busting your balls)

Maybe you're not familiar with this new intertube service called "Google" or the "Search" function on YouTube. Below is what I found after 1 minute or two of searching:

Hope you see a few good ideas in there somewhere. (Sorry about busting your balls)

none of them are 250/400's though :)

... And guys, if you seen any, post it's picture and don't just claim it exists...
My recommendation? Forget the nice one - find a bike that is in sad shape and therefore very cheap to actually improve. And keep yours original and ready to ride on all the nice days - and maybe sell for a profit. It has to be rare - NO 250 Maxims over here at all!

Attachments

• yamaha cafe racer.jpg
    yamaha cafe racer.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 23,153
  • yamaha cafe.jpg
    yamaha cafe.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,765
Last edited:
The problem with that model is the tank and possibly the frame; it's got an extreme angle going on. Cafe racers tend to be flat.

You need a new gas tank to get the lines right.

Back