Is there a maxim cafe racer?

Search on here before buying anything. Make sure you have the ability to modify a tank. There isn't a lot that will bolt right up. I know the non-maxim models have the triple-tube frame, but I am not sure about a maxim.

I have a cb360 tank in my garage right now, but I don't have a maxim.

Did you happen across this Thread, right on here, which shows a Kawasaki tank fits on a Maxim Frame?

Yeah i saw that... But he has fitted it too high to the frame... Bottom line of the tank does not line up with the frame's tube under where the seat would be...

And by the way...

I BOUGHT IT ! ! ! :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And i'm really excited about it! Rode it to my town from another city 200 miles away! Got there by hitching a car! :laugh:

The trip was a bit tiring but mostly cause there were 2 little holes in the exaust pipes causing a lot of noise... Will deal with them later! Νow i just can't stop riding it! :D

I'm VERY happy! It is my first motorcycle! :bike:

hi!
i got a 1988 xs400 seca cafe,got the same frame than the maxim, and with some little mods the gas from a sr 250 fits! if it likes you!
you can see my bike in profile.

1988? Not likely an xs400...
It could be that Yamaha made the DOHC available in the European market for more years than in N. America. I think Drewpy posted something about them being very popular in Germany and getting them for longer.
If you check out inuit's photos, it certainly looks like an xs400 seca was his starting point.

yes!

in spain it was sold till 1990 or little more i think! it is the only model that we know,because the maxims and another variatons, don't arrive to spain!

my bike before the mods...

xs400serie.jpg

it's like an american seca...isn't it?

yes!

in spain it was sold till 1990 or little more i think! it is the only model that we know,because the maxims and another variatons, don't arrive to spain!

my bike before the mods...

xs400serie.jpg

it's like an american seca...isn't it?

the other models were known as Sanglas 400 Y

sanglas-400-y.jpg

sanglas-400-y-04.jpg

yes!

the sanglas on the foto have yamaha engine with sanglas name.that was the last sanglas.

they are,more or less, like the xs400 till 81.

after yamaha bought sanglas and disapear.

yes!

the sanglas on the foto have yamaha engine with sanglas name.that was the last sanglas.

they are,more or less, like the xs400 till 81.

after yamaha bought sanglas and disapear.

so you did have the other xs400 variations in Spain then :D

yes! the sanglas on the foto have yamaha engine with sanglas name.that was the last sanglas....
The one you started with looks like the Secas we have over here.
One of the Sanglasi in Drewpy's pics seems to have the sohc Yamaha 400 in it though.

Anyhow, you did a lovely job on your custom with the sr250 tank. :thumbsup:
If it had been me, I would have changed the funny paint to a N. American paint job and stopped there - but just because I am mechanically dis-inclined. :shrug:

The one you started with looks like the Secas we have over here.
One of the Sanglasi in Drewpy's pics seems to have the sohc Yamaha 400 in it though.

Anyhow, you did a lovely job on your custom with the sr250 tank. :thumbsup:
If it had been me, I would have changed the funny paint to a N. American paint job and stopped there - but just because I am mechanically dis-inclined. :shrug:

yes yes yamaha bought sanglas and put their engines and dessings under the name SANGLAS in spain but they were really yamahas!!

the real SANGLAS were the previous models.

like this:

a SANGLAS 400 E

sanglas400e.jpg

well!

i'm lucky and have a good friend who isn't like us...it means mechanically disinclined.

he gave me a lot of answers and did the most dificult job.

... the real SANGLAS were the previous models. like this: a SANGLAS 400 E ...
That almost looks like old-time British blacksmithery - with separate transmission units that bolt on. I actually met an old racing mechanic who waxed nostalgic for those - he said they were way easier to work on ... :shrug:

Back