Is there a need to adjust the cam chain tension?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
In my 1982 XS400J or my 1983 XS400K Maxim (DOHC) bikes? I remember having to do it with all my old Hondas but I've also heard some do not require adjusting. So on the DOHC is it something I need to do, and if so how? I looked in the manual and didn't see anything.

Is it really? When I changed my head gasket, I had to tension the cam chain with the bolt on the back of the engine (just under the carbs, dead centre between the barrels.) I haven't seen it on a list of maintenance items, but it is possible to do.

I seem to remember it was adjusting to a particular torque spec.

Not sure what model its for but in a recent threads its in bold black print automatic cam tensioner no adjustment neccasary.Im curious about this topic as well though on the sohc model.

Page 3-96 and -97 of the service manual. No mention of adjusting tension. The tensioner has a spring and ratcheting mechanism. Only torque value is for mounting hardware.

Nope. Automatic tensioner. I've read somewhere that they can fail without warning, but I can't think of where right now...

Failing means the spring stops pushing and it won't advance the shaft anymore. There is no way it can go back once it's installed, even removing the spring. The only way to send the shaft back in is to remove the spring, lift the small "tooth" facing the chain and pushing the shaft back in.
If it fails you start hearing a pretty distinct "clunk" noise when idling. The noise is almost absent when the bike is "pulling" (throttle open).
Anyhow, nothing to worry about on an XS, the standard camshaft degreeing is very conservative and the noise will be impossible to ignore before anything goes really wrong.

For some bikes there are manual tensioners sold as racing replacements, I doubt there is anything like that for the XS but shouldn't be too hard to fabricate one.

Soooo Is this the picture of a failed Cam chain tensioner? with no way of recovery, Thats what I am thinking Did the Tensioner bend my chain guide to the 90 degree angle? :wtf:

Thanks Xchris has set, I am hoping that maybe I could bend that side in, and reuse, but after reading this thread, it seems it is a one way road. Give me till tuesday xchris.

Attachments

• Cam Tensioner.jpg
    Cam Tensioner.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 591
  • Cam Tensioner1.jpg
    Cam Tensioner1.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 611
I can't say. My experience and comments earlier are in regard to DOHC tensioners exclusively. I haven't had the pleasure of getting inside a SOHC engine, yet...

I think the reason yours failed was because of the tappet adjuster came off and got stuck in the chain/guide.

Could be, but it was jammed in front of the exhaust spring, the but was not too far away. On the opposite side of the tensioner. I did ride for a mother 40 miles after it went bad. So it could be.:shrug:

Attachments

• IMG_20130928_112505.jpg
    IMG_20130928_112505.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 1,276
Back