is this a transmission problem?

GrisGris

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
When the bike is in neutral, and i try to kickstart it, it locks, and when i try to kickstart while engaging clutch it moves freely without any resistance. About a month ago i was able to kickstart freely, and from listening to it i could tell the engine was almost there (replaced faulty battery later). Now that i'm having this problem, i was unsure whether it could mean a lack of oil. I tried looking up how to check the oil on some threads here but i'm still not sure.. (is there a window to look through? or dipstick? i couldn't find either)

a neighbor also suggested i try removing both sparkplugs and wheeling the bike to hear the distinctive sound of the cylinders, but when i tried it i heard nothing. So now i'm not sure if the transmission is locked up or if it has some other problem i don't know about seeing that i'm new to motorcycles. A friend of mine also suggested that it sounded like an engine problem.

so anyways i'm not sure what direction to head in next, and i'd appreciate any insight. let me know if any pictures would help.

There should be an oil level bubble down near the kick starter. It's about an inch in diameter and is well hidden
If the kick starter isn't engaging, someone may have kicked too hard one time and snapped a piece of the casing inside that holds the kick starter shaft. That'd make you're life a heck of a lot harder, so lets hope it isn't that. My best advice might be to pull the right-hand engine cover off and have a look-see for yourself. You can change the oil while you're at it! See if the kick starter shaft looks off center or any gears look worn. Systematic approach is always best.

Best of luck!

@xschris its an '82 400F, and i'll post pics as soon as i get home, i'm at school right now

@JARichmond thanks for the advice and for showing me where the oil window is i'm glad to have finally found it.

Is the bike in neutral?

When the bike is in neutral,.......

It could be a hydraulic lock from fuel entering the engine ( happened on this forum twice)

or

something has broken off and is wedged on the clutch drum teeth.

smell for fuel in the oil, failing that, pull the right hand cover off and check like JARichmond said :)

Back