Is this what exhaust headers are supposed to look like?

chris

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, can anyone tell me if the pic is correct? I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a gap between the hold-downs and the headers. The reason I ask is because it looked like some smoke shot out of there the other day.:wtf:

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 393
they look back to front to me. just checked mine and there is a 5mm gap between head and clamps.

do you have the gaskets in place?

That's kinda what I was thinking, guess I'll flip em. Probably throw new gaskets in there while I'm at it.

Looks like I should have started a poll because 3 people think they are backwards and 3 people think they are fine. Anyone else care to chime in. Break the tie.

As a side note, does anyone know if the xs650 exhaust hardware (studs, stud nuts, and gaskets) will fit the 400?

Should have a little gap. One of your gaskets if probably muffed up. They are crush gaskets I believe so if you take the pipes off and reinstall there is the chance for a leak, similar to a head gasket.

Anyhow, when you take them off you see which side is right.
On a second thought I tend to agree that they are mounted the right way. haha. :)
but even the haynes manual is unsure. It has pictures of both ways. :)
Could it be different in different years?

My 77 is mounted the opposite way of what is picture. I'm also wondering if certain years were mounted differently. WIERD! Mine only go on one way to hold the 2-piece metal gasket in correctly.

I suppose it doesn't matter much as long as the header seals, but mine were put back the way I found them. The purpose of the fins on the collar is to radiate heat, so it seems to me the larger portion of the fin would be away from the heat source.

Here are mine:

headersjh.jpg

New guy here with a question, this seems to be an appropriate thread. Just bought a 81 XS400 Special that has a puffs (no smoke) coming from just inside the collar. Tried to pull the exhaust off to see if new seals were in order and can't get the collar past the studs. Looking at it from the top with the tank removed it seems the inside studs are splayed down and away from center line. Is this normal? is there a trick to getting the collars off without crushing the threads on the studs? I'm thinking somebody screwed up in the bikes past (history is totally unknown). And oil wouldn't leak from there, unless I've been wrong about internal combustion engines my whole life. I'm getting oil down the front of the engine, can't tell if it's coming from there or higher up like the oil pressure sending hose. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

BTW didn't buy the bike till I had read half of the forums on here to make sure I had 'tech support' available. The amount of knowledge shared here is amazing.

Back