Issues with vibration

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all....I wanted to show you guys the vibration issues I have been having.Generally the vibrations start @ 6000rpms and then smooths out after 7000rpms.In the video I get the bike up to 85mph and the bike just smooths out completely.I thought it might be the chain out of spec.I checked and adjusted the chain. This helped a little but the vibrations continue.What do you all think?
Here is the link.

My XS also vibrates at certain revs (can't check which, dont have a tachometer). It's pretty normal for any object to have its own 'frequency'. You can compare it with a long flexible piece of wood or a pipe or something, it wobbles more vigorously at certain speeds when you hold it in the middle and move it up and down. Kind of a bad explanation, but you get the idea.

Not to say there are no other things that can cause vibrations. And yes, an out of spec chain, or low tire pressure (check this), or bad tire thread, or any free play on the axle bearings or swing arm bearings, poorly balanced tires, or basically anything with the wheels, frame and chain/sprockets could make it a lot worse.

Similair problem on my bike man that looked like a fun ride I cant wait to cruise mine.But it did seem to smooth out between 5-6k`s.From take off till then I have vibration.Check your front brake pads make sure they arent rubbing against your rotor.Check your tire pressure also.Make sure your exhaust isnt rubbing or vibrating against the frame.Check your front rear wheel bearings they made need greasing that something I need to check on my bike.
A side note your bike sounds very good doesnt miss a beat.

Last edited:
there's primary vibration and then secondary (which is the nasty one)

In reciprocating engines they have both, its just where you want them.

you can tune the secondary ones slightly with the ignition timing, but at 6k its the worst part, 7k+ is the sweet spot as that corresponds where the bike makes the most torque and power is at around 8.5k and tails off at 9.5k

Back