Its alive ! Almost finished 81 XS400 Cafe Racer pics and video

Great job, great looking bike! Question for you, where did you put the battery? Also are those factory front forks?

Tires are very cool, same ones i have been looking at, are your wheels stock and stock size?

Thanks,
Steve

Great job, great looking bike! Question for you, where did you put the battery? Also are those factory front forks?

Tires are very cool, same ones i have been looking at, are your wheels stock and stock size?

Thanks,
Steve

Battery is located under the racer seat. See my build page for pics of where my electronics are housed. Forks are stock. Wheels are stock 16" in rear 18" in front. I would recommend going narrower on the rear tire if you decide to go with those tires.

Here are some new pics, Wrapped headers, added 2.25" side mirror and license plate. Will post updated sound clip this evening.

DSCN1978.JPG

DSCN1980.JPG

DSCN1981.JPG

DSCN1983.JPG

DSCN1989.JPG

DSCN1990.JPG

DSCN1992.JPG

DSCN1987.JPG

DSCN1993.JPG

Hey all help! - so this will sound newbie and yes this is first conversion and bike in 10 years, took it for fact without paying attention when ordering new clutch and brake levers w(with hydraulics) that the bike has hydraulics, BUT they are not are they? I see no hydraulics, just straight through push/pull cables, I have read nothing about that, this is an 1980 xs400g special, I'm not missing anything here am I, I do not need hydraulic correct?

Thanks,
Stevo

Hey all help! - so this will sound newbie and yes this is first conversion and bike in 10 years, took it for fact without paying attention when ordering new clutch and brake levers w(with hydraulics) that the bike has hydraulics, BUT they are not are they? I see no hydraulics, just straight through push/pull cables, I have read nothing about that, this is an 1980 xs400g special, I'm not missing anything here am I, I do not need hydraulic correct?

Thanks,
Stevo

Sounds like your bike has drum brakes front and rear like mine. Make sure you order a brake lever for an xs400 with front drum brake.

Thanks Nick!

Okay clear/clearer on the brakes, geez how did i miss that.

So I suppose clutch is the same, just a clutch lever?

Stevo

Thx, I am hoping DCC will reimburse or credit me since i am ordering other parts from them.

Got the new grinder and cutting away on old non-needed brackets, still need to learn the electrical, electrical is the trick and the knowledge, well outside of welding, but i can learn that.

You all and your knowledge is invaluable, thx!

Steve

Great looking bike, still digging those tires, so you have 18 in front and 16 rear, how wide are the rims? Also you mentioned previously that you might recommend going with not so wide on the rear, why is that?

Thanks,
Stevo

Great looking bike, still digging those tires, so you have 18 in front and 16 rear, how wide are the rims? Also you mentioned previously that you might recommend going with not so wide on the rear, why is that?

Thanks,
Stevo

Chain is to close to the tire not even 1/8 inch clearence so a thinner rear would be better. 18" front 16" rear not sure on the wheel width they are the stock wheels that came on a 1981 xs400 special II

Back