just a pic of where im at build thread old and messy

BrokenFang

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Assembly started, have since added levers and throttle from junk 90cc dirt bike and stated wiring pics must have been to big ill resize then go again

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Couple of what got done today. Ground down stripped brake lever mirror perch gonna jb weld mirror in mount. Dirt bike throttle and perches with my original levers. Got to lower headlight a bit I think

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 258
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Scored box of free parts off a rebel think this head light works much better. also got the vr115 voltage regulator installed hoping to have fire to the plugs this weekend.question my electrics box is under seat do you think mounting rectifier under it will heat the metal to much dont want to melt my little baby battery.

Attachments

• bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 247
  • bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 253
the rectifier is gonna be in the wind under the pan but its a thin pan so i am kinda worried about heat transfer to the battery regulator tray. weld a bracket somewhere else with the frame chopping i have done i might be able to put it above and slightly behind the carbs? ill see if i got time to get pics of the mock up and upload tomorrow.

These don't get very hot. On my 80, mine is attached to the plastic inner fender.

finally figured out my regulator wiring. i went to the shop around midnight when i got off work and slit the cover on my alt wires. one that i thought was brown was really a black wire. now i got spark to plugs. this thing confused me for days.

Been working on bike bits and pieces. here are some pics of tailight i am building from a factory type light and an old sun temp gauge housing

Attachments

• light rear.jpg
    light rear.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 222
  • light profile.jpg
    light profile.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 220
  • light components.jpg
    light components.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 226
Before i crimp lense back in I'm gonna use some type of silicone. The 2 original holes I'm gonna tack a backing plate in and use solder like I did for badge holes on tank. I haven't decided whether to run wires out the bottom or back ill just use rubber grommet. Still trying to pick a rear fender I got one from a rebel and a old Yamaha 90cc dirt bike

got some more picks. granted im still in mock up shake down phase. the rear fender is from a 90 enduro. the stay rods are from a bicycle luggage rack. the scrap metal welded in the void under tank holds rectifier,regulator and ignition power switch. i did break down and bought a headlight switch from dcc.used a stock mirror and ground down the stock mount

Attachments

• electronics plate.jpg
    electronics plate.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 232
  • fender side.jpg
    fender side.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 206
  • rear fender shot.jpg
    rear fender shot.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 229
  • front shot.jpg
    front shot.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 200
  • top of tripple tree.jpg
    top of tripple tree.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 200
okay doger i couldn't stand it went to shop this am. yep it was same cap you have. got most of brackets gone using 120 grit flap wheel and scotch brite wheel need to get more sanding wheels for dremel to get lower. used dremel with cut off wheel to cut slots for cap. i do think im below the top of tank depression so now ill just wait till i have a few more things to put filler in then finish it up. have to add license plate light to tail light i am building.

Attachments

• cap on tank.jpg
    cap on tank.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 203
  • brackets removed top.jpg
    brackets removed top.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 219
  • brackets removed from side.jpg
    brackets removed from side.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 215
  • overhead look.jpg
    overhead look.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 225
  • first cut tank.jpg
    first cut tank.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 213
Been working on bike bits and pieces. here are some pics of tailight i am building from a factory type light and an old sun temp gauge housing

In the second pic in this post it shows a hole in the light bucket. Make that the bottom and when the tail light is on the light will shine out that hole. Bam.... you got a plate light! You could find some clear plastic or glass to put over the hole on the inside to seal it.

That was my original thinking to. To fit in case reflector buts against back of gauge housing so no light gets there. I am doing it that way though just putting in my own hole righ t under light bulb. I over cooked a piece of clear lens shaping it gonna try another today. I'm gonna use the hole your talking about for the mount .

been jumping between tank tailight and fender right now. found a lens i liked better got kinda of a rifle target set of rings in middle got license plate lens curved . now i just got to figure out mount got a couple options running in my head here are some new pics . all metal sanblasted still need to polish out lenses. i love junk bike parts. i got my 4 day break from work so mabey i can get some test power to this thing and see how it looks lit up

Attachments

• all components.jpg
    all components.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 193
  • lens back.jpg
    lens back.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 194
  • lens1.jpg
    lens1.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 187
  • placement license plate lens.jpg
    placement license plate lens.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 202
wire wheeled around filler neck to clean it up. sprayed brake clean on it and applied in first layer of filler. Took small wire wheel to rusty muffler whats done looking better. still working on taillight license plate bracket. just ordered cable parts from Flanders so i can shorten cables. Last week did some more welding on rear of frame pics soon.

Attachments

• exhaust after wire wheel.jpg
    exhaust after wire wheel.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 210
  • exhaust half clean half rusty.jpg
    exhaust half clean half rusty.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 199
  • first layer bondo plastic metal.jpg
    first layer bondo plastic metal.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 185
  • found in box of stuff somebody gave me.jpg
    found in box of stuff somebody gave me.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 219
  • ready for filler.jpg
    ready for filler.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 174
got the tail light license plate holder done except for the pretty up part. i split some angle iron down the corner flattened it out and welded it back together down the center. bolt head was ground at an angle so it would sit level to bike not plate mount.

Attachments

• bolt for tail light.jpg
    bolt for tail light.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 182
  • bolt head shaped for better adjustability of light angle.jpg
    bolt head shaped for better adjustability of light angle.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 224
  • close up of mount.jpg
    close up of mount.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 183
  • inside tail housing.jpg
    inside tail housing.jpg