Just another new guy

keepitsimple

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just registered and thought I'd say hello. I'm currently looking for a sohc xs400 my son and I can fix up over the fall/winter. There is just something about a street tracker that makes me smile. Elegant but aggressive at the same time..... hard to describe I guess. The kind of bike that looks like it was made to be enjoyed and ridden, not displayed. Anyways, I got sick last year and thought I had it beat, but it's come back to haunt me again. Time with my son has become more precious than ever. I think my riding days are over (balance is shot, and one eye is screwed), but my son would like to get his bike license, and what better way to get it than on a bike him and the old man created together. Just the right size for a new teenage rider as well. This will be a typical looooow budget build and I look forward to being here and absorbing your knowledge. Wish me luck finding a cheap suitable project.:bike:

... currently looking for a sohc xs400 my son and I can fix up over the fall/winter. ... Just the right size for a new teenage rider as well. This will be a typical looooow budget build and I look forward to being here and absorbing your knowledge. Wish me luck finding a cheap suitable project.:bike:
Hi and welcome to the Forum. You will certainly get help from experts on here. I wish I were an expert and could offer more than just good wishes and encouragement.
I do love to shop for stuff though, and wondered if you had already checked out any of these:
One word of caution gleaned from my bike searches last summer and this spring. Unless you are buying it just for the parts, make sure the ownership isn't "lost" and that the serial number on the frame matches correctly. Not every old unit is as clean as you will eventually want your son's to be.
There are also a number of DOHCs (which I have) for sale. You could do worse and some folks have had success customizing them too.
All the best to you and Jr.

Last edited:
Since you are likely buying in Ontario don't let any private seller tell you that you do not need the UVIP from the MTO either. It applies to motorcycles just the same as it does to cars and trucks. The law requires the seller to provide it, not the purchaser.

Back